Postfix and dovecot and mysql for mail sever.

Hi, I am in the process of setting up postfix, dovecot, mysql to the latest versions to be used for mail server.

I need to be able to handle mail for multiple domain names.

I have followed these 2 tutorials:

postfix tutorail Dovecot Tutorial

I have mysql installed and setup properly and it works.

The issue right now is when I first installed postix and dovecot and ran it without mysql. It worked. Meaning I got mail logs going.
I never was able to sent mail out or get mail.

I then followed those tutorials posted above. I set them up exactly what it says but instead of their mail_Dir I used
/mtn/disk1/mail as the mail directory.

I ran then ran the software and postfix and dovecot both run without any majors issues. The issue here is that there's no mail logs.
I thought maybe because there's no activity and is the reason why. I tested the system using an outside email writing an email
to one of my accounts in my domain name. I would send it and the email provider that I used proton would send a message the next day that they couldn't deliver it.

I check the mail logs and found nothing no /var/log/maillogs file.

I am really stuck on where to start to figure out what is wrong with the system.
I would assume if there were any fatal errors it would make the maillog file.

So, my guess would have to be the setup with the mysql database and tables.

I know in the tutorial it does 2 lookups one for username and one for password.
I am thinking there might be a conflict with what it's looking up.

for example I have created 2 users both named bob. in the users table it has bob and then password and then email.
email would have the domain associated with it like bob@domain1.com the other is the same but domain2.com

in the tutorial the way it looks up the username I am not sure if this should be bob or bob@domain1.com ?
but it would grab the username based on the domain name. I have a table named domains which are the domain names I wish to handle the mail for. Right now just have domain1.com and domain2..com . these domains are just an example. I am using real .com domain names.

The tutorial shows to make a domain name table in mysql and a user table. I did both.
Then I assume if someone comes in for example bob@domain1.com

I assume this setup first checks the domain domain table and and matches domain1.com to make sure we are handling it's mail.
If it checks out.

It then goes looks up the user in our case bob and it checks for the mailbox info etc. Then delivers the mail to the mailbox directory.
under folder domain1.com/bob/

Now, my issue with this is what happens if there's 2 users with the same username for a different domain.
If I have 2 user accounts with bob but it's with a different name. How would postfix and dovecot figure out which is which?
Do you think I would have to modify the sql query?

What I am saying is that there's 2 tables one for domain names we handle mail for. It would just list domain1.com, domain2.com, etc.
but if the user has 2 accounts with name bob. that user table doesn't have domain names. Just I have the usernames and a email address filed.
my question is how would dovecot or postfix not cross the 2 fields? I use the same table to login to email. However, if it doesn't have a domain field. It would grab the first username that is named bob and then use that info.

So, if I login as bob@domain2.com wouldn't it check my password based on the first bob in the first record that shows up? which would be for domain .... domani1.com I wouldn't be able to login domain2.com because it would match bob with the first record and always check the passwords with that account.

Right now what commands I can run to check the mail system? do I have to modify the log level for debugging purposes?
right now shows no maillog file.

I did have one before and there were others like maillog.0.bz etc but I ran rm and removed all it.
It was because I wanted to turn the servers off and then back on to see if there's any recent errors.
It never created the maillog so I assume no errors or activity. I have log_leve set to 2 and for tls it's set to 1.

I would appreciate any kind of help. Thank You in advance.

I set up a private mail server several years ago drawing from purplehat and a few other guides, and have been using it to host 2 primary mail domains and a few auxiliary mail domains ever since.

Now, my issue with this is what happens if there's 2 users with the same username for a different domain.

The database approach described in that guides is flexible, so you can adjust the table layouts and queries to fit your needs. Each user will need a unique username. I set them to an email address, and this eliminates the possibility of a name collision.

Right now what commands I can run to check the mail system? do I have to modify the log level for debugging purposes?
right now shows no maillog file.
This is where I would start with your troubleshooting. Postfix and Dovecot should write to /var/log/maillog. If you don't see anything there, then perhaps there is a permissions issue or the software isn't running as you suspect.

I know this is a slightly older post so my apologies for resurrecting it. However, I've updated the Purplehat guide recently in order to pick up the slack for the older software that was used in the previous guide. Perhaps this will help to solve any issues you had with the old, very out-of-date guide. New guide is located here. Of course, I'm always happy to get feedback as well. So, if you have any, please feel free to reach out.

This is great to see I am working my way through this as my email server built from the original guides lays in Pieces. The change in some things has thrown me for a loop . I have been happy with
Apache
Apache and using Letsencrypt. I have to work through the change to MariaDB. I am using The main branch of mysql for multiple other purposes so my approach is to let sleeping dogs die. Working my way through rest. Thanks for the great effort now see if it is with in my ability

This is great to see I am working my way through this as my email server built from the original guides lays in Pieces. The change in some things has thrown me for a loop . I have been happy with
Apache
Apache and using Letsencrypt. I have to work through the change to MariaDB. I am using The main branch of mysql for multiple other purposes so my approach is to let sleeping dogs die. Working my way through rest. Thanks for the great effort now see if it is with in my ability
Hi, Jason. I'm glad you're going to move forward with working through the new setup. I believe you'll find it much easier to use after you've finished it. The migration really shouldn't be too different aside from a few different configuration changes for the software used. And, yes, you can absolutely continue using MySQL instead of MariaDB (that change takes some effort, to be honest.) You can also definitely use Apache instead of Nginx (although, the migration to Nginx is quite easy and recommended.) I wish you the best in your migration and let me know if you run into any issues so I can clarify/update the guide to avoid that for future readers who might run into the same.

I know this is a slightly older post so my apologies for resurrecting it. However, I've updated the Purplehat guide recently in order to pick up the slack for the older software that was used in the previous guide. Perhaps this will help to solve any issues you had with the old, very out-of-date guide. New guide is located here. Of course, I'm always happy to get feedback as well. So, if you have any, please feel free to reach out.
shows promise but I cant get dovcot back up the issue I have s with 10-mail.conf

Your sample is
namespace Inbox {
type = private
separator = /
mailbox Sent {
auto = subscribe
special_use = Sent
}
mailbox Drafts {
auto = subscribe
special_use = Drafts
}
mailbox Trash {
auto = subscribe
special_use = Trash
autoexpunge=90d
}
mailbox Junk {
auto = subscribe
special_use = Junk
autoexpunge=30d
}
first_valid_uid = 110
last_valid_uid = 110
first_valid_gid = 110
last_valid_gid = 110
# Use dict for quota lookup
service dict {
unix_listener dict {
mode = 0660
user = vscan
group = scan
}
}

when I run
# sievec /usr/local/virtual/sieve/global/default.sieve

I am getting this error
Fatal: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf line 27: Unknown setting: namespace { first_valid_uid

I think the issue may be with the use of unpair {} brackets
I count 7 { and only 6 }

I have tried some , in my mind, logical placed and just generate another error

A second set of eyes or a seeing eye dog would help

It seems the configuration layout could be lacking a bit. It should look like this for ${ETCDIR}/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf:

sh:
namespace inbox {
  # Namespace type: private, shared or public
  type = private

# Hierarchy separator to use. You should use the same separator for all
  # namespaces or some clients get confused. '/' is usually a good one.
  # The default however depends on the underlying mail storage format.
  separator = /

# Prefix required to access this namespace. This needs to be different for
  # all namespaces. For example "Public/".
  #prefix =

# Physical location of the mailbox. This is in same format as
  # mail_location, which is also the default for it.
  #location =

# There can be only one INBOX, and this setting defines which namespace
  # has it.
  inbox = yes

# If namespace is hidden, it's not advertised to clients via NAMESPACE
  # extension. You'll most likely also want to set list=no. This is mostly
  # useful when converting from another server with different namespaces which
  # you want to deprecate but still keep working. For example you can create
  # hidden namespaces with prefixes "~/mail/", "~%u/mail/" and "mail/".
  #hidden = no

# Show the mailboxes under this namespace with LIST command. This makes the
  # namespace visible for clients that don't support NAMESPACE extension.
  # "children" value lists child mailboxes, but hides the namespace prefix.
  #list = yes

# Namespace handles its own subscriptions. If set to "no", the parent
  # namespace handles them (empty prefix should always have this as "yes")
  #subscriptions = yes

# See 15-mailboxes.conf for definitions of special mailboxes.
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = Sent
  }
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = Drafts
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = Trash
    autoexpunge=90d
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = Junk
    autoexpunge=30d
  }
}
first_valid_uid = 110
last_valid_uid = 110
first_valid_gid = 110
last_valid_gid = 110

The "namespace" needs to be it's own block. The UID and GID lines shouldn't be in blocks. It appears you've added them to the same configuration block?

I had tried to clean the comments out poor move I have made progress with cleaning that error and one that appears in the 10-master.conf
Now I am getting
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf line 1: Unknown setting: service { ssl_cert

my 10-ssl.cof is

ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/kasdivi.com/cert.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/kasdivi.com/privkey.pem
ssl_ca = /usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/kasdivi.com/cert.pem
ssl_dh = </usr/local/etc/ssl/dovecot/dh.pem
ssl_min_protocol = TLSv1.2
I am betting that I have another er typo. my cerificates are in the wrong from (both are uneducated guess
Thanks again for the help and your work

I as I stated I a grasping at straws. Based on my earlier experienceI assumed fat fingers. I brought in a sample
10-sse.conf

the first part through the report location of the error is

SSL settings
#
# SSL/TLS support: yes, no, required. https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/ssl/
# ssl = yes
# PEM encoded X.509 SSL/TLS certificate and private key. They're opened before
# dropping root privileges, so keep the key file unreadable by anyone but
# root. Included doc/mkcert.sh can be used to easily generate self-signed
# certificate, just make sure to update the domains in dovecot-openssl.cn
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/kasdivi.com/fullchain.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/kasdivi.com/privkey.pem
# If key file is password protected, give the password here. Alternatively
# give it when starting dovecot with -p parameter. Since this file is often
# world-readable, you may want to place this setting instead to a different
# root owned 0600 file by using ssl_key_password = <path.
#ssl_key_password =
I se no typo on the ssl_cart

So deleted and reissued the certificate. No joy

I am so far over my head. I am think its beyoind. any thoughts before I give ups wold be appreciated

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf line 1: Unknown setting: service { ssl_cert

Those configuration files in Dovecot's conf.d directory apply alphabetically. It looks like you may have introduced a syntax error in one of the other files. Perhaps you have a trailing "service {" in 10-master.conf, for example.

Well I liked that and guess what I aim back at
10-ssl.conf with this error
Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't load SSL certificate (ssl_cert setting): The certificate is empty:

Ahh this was caused by a symbolic link the >cerbot created. so have to go down that rabbit hole tomorrow. 12 hours long enough
at least the serve are up granted not doing server stuff[/FILE]

I had tried to clean the comments out poor move I have made progress with cleaning that error and one that appears in the 10-master.conf
Comments are your friend. You should not try to remove them or change the configuration file structure because after next version of the program some configuration variables may be introduced and other deprecated. When you compare your current configuration with the new sample file it's very easy to see what has been changed but it only works if you leave all structure of the original file intact.

For example: comparing files using misc/mc (midnight commander)

1.PNG

2.PNG

Anyway if you decide to remove all commends from the configuration file you can use sed(1) to remove all lines which start with "#" or "[tab] #" or "empty line"

sed -i.bak -E '/^[ \t]*#|^$/d' file

how it works

Code:
-i.bak        # edit file inplace, create a backup file.bak
-E            # use extended RE re_format (needed for OR "|" operator)
/             # default separator (can be changed with "s" like "s_" )
^[ \t]*#      # first search criteria (null string start of the line, tab, first occurrence of #)
|             # OR
^$            # second search criteria (null string start of the line, null string end of the line)
d             # delete
re_format(7)

Thanks.. I understand the basis for comments but for various self inflicted wounds. even fat finger and typos in example. my attempts to recover my mail system has turned into a sarrifical offering. I had a great guide when I set up my system but it came out moded and I am trying to recover with out a complete wipe. Also Its you know I use forums a lot and try not to post a 1000 Lins example when core is only 10 line. The again I was and with comments in my FOTRAN days. Let me drop back and try again. Really appreciate the info
sed. You are always a great help

Comments are your friend. You should not try to remove them or change the configuration file structure because after next version of the program some configuration variables may be introduced and other deprecated. When you compare your current configuration with the new sample file it's very easy to see what has been changed but it only works if you leave all structure of the original file intact.
Problem is, some files have so many comments in them that they obscure the actual running config. What I do is keep the original config file with a .sample or .dist suffix, and then diff that against the new version. That way I get a clean diff of the new settings or defaults, but still have a config file that is 95% smaller than the fully-commented one.

exactly then I have two different files. grrr. I now see purpose o midnight commander....making no progress a week with out mail but learning

I have fallen further down.. an approach that was simple and logical a number of years ago is now hopeless. I have about 60 hrs invested in this ok enough for he violin
I am back to [FILE[10-Master.conf[/FILE]. which reads

#default_process_limit = 100
#default_client_limit = 1000
# Default VSZ (virtual memory size) limit for service processes. This is mainly
# intended to catch and kill processes that leak memory before they eat up
# everything.
#default_vsz_limit = 256M
# Login user is internally used by login processes. This is the most untrusted
# user in Dovecot system. It shouldn't have access to anything at all.
#default_login_user = dovenull
# Internal user is used by unprivileged processes. It should be separate from
# login user, so that login processes can't disturb other processes.
#default_internal_user = dovecot
service imap-login {
inet_listener imap {
#port = 143
}
inet_listener imaps {
#port = 993
#ssl = ye
}
# Number of connections to handle before starting a new process. Typical
# the only useful values are 0 (unlimited) or 1. 1 is more secure, but 0
# is faster. <doc/wiki/LoginProcess.txt>
#service_count = 1
# Number of processes to always keep waiting for more connections.
#process_min_avail = 0
# If you set service_count=0, you probably need to grow this.
#vsz_limit = $default_vsz_limit
}
service pop3-login {
inet_listener pop3 {
#port = 110
}
inet_listener pop3s {
#port = 995
#ssl = yes
}
}
service submission-login {
inet_listener submission {
#port = 587
}
inet_listener submissions {
#port = 465
}
}
service lmtp {
unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}
unix_listener auth-userdb {
mode = 0660
user = vscan
group = vscan
}
unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}
}
# Create inet listener only if you can't use the above UNIX socket
#inet_listener lmtp {
# Avoid making LMTP visible for the entire internet
#address =
#port =
#}
}
service imap {
# Most of the memory goes to mmap()ing files. You may need to increase this
#vsz_limit = $default_vsz_lim
# Max. number of IMAP processes (connections)
#process_limit = 1024
}
service pop3 {
# Max. number of POP3 processes (connections)
#process_limit = 1024
}
service submission {
# Max. number of SMTP Submission processes (connections)
#process_limit = 1024
}service auth {
# auth_socket_path points to this userdb socket by default. It's typically
# used by dovecot-lda, doveadm, possibly imap process, etc. Users that have
# full permissions to this socket are able to get a list of all usernames nd
# get the results of everyone's userdb lookups.
#
# The default 0666 mode allows anyone to connect to the socket, but the
# userdb lookups will succeed only if the userdb returns an "uid" field that
# matches the caller process's UID. Also if caller's uid or gid matches the1
# socket's uid or gid the lookup succeeds. Anything else causes a failure.
#
# To give the caller full permissions to lookup all users, set the mode to
# something else than 0666 and Dovecot lets the kernel enforce the
# permissions (e.g. 0777 allows everyone full permissions).
#mode = 0666
#user =
#group =
}
# Postfix smtp-auth
#unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
# mode = 0666
#}
# Auth process is run as this user.
#user = $default_internal_user
}
service auth-worker {
# Auth worker process is run as root by default, so that it can access
# /etc/shadow. If this isn't necessary, the user should be changed to
# $default_internal_user.
#user = root
}
service dict {
# If dict proxy is used, mail processes should have access to its socket.
# For example: mode=0660, group=vmail and global mail_access_groups=vmail
unix_listener dict {
#mode = 0600
#user =
#group =
}
}
and no logon Most recent errors

Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=41036, input bytes=0
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 30 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.64.187, session=<CjuZFmkW4f7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=41037, input bytes=0
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 30 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.65.133, session=<EzuZFmkW5P7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=41038, input bytes=0
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=41041, input bytes=0
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 30 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.65.133, session=<EzuZFmkW5v7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 30 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.65.133, session=<EDuZFmkW5f7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=41042, input bytes=0
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 30 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.64.187, session=<r7eZFmkW5/7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:34:46 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: imap-login: Error: Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't load SSL certificate (ssl_cert setting): The certificate is empty: user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.64.187, session=<6Z3LF2kW7/7IBpdM>
Apr 18 21:35:16 triggerfish dovecot[39808]: auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in configuration file. PLAIN mechanism needs one
Apr 18 21:35:16 triggerfish dovecot[39806]: master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling for 60.000 secs

The interesting error "The certificate is empty". The one provided 10-ssl.conf is not .. I assume map-login is looking some were else last something else

I am beginning to think best course is nuke postfix and dovecot. if I can manage to save the mysql] databases

Man that's hard to read formatted like that. Removing all the comments and adding indentation:
Code:
service imap-login {
    inet_listener imap {}
    inet_listener imaps {}
}
service pop3-login {
    inet_listener pop3 {}
    inet_listener pop3s {}
}
    inet_listener submission {}
    inet_listener submissions {}
}
service lmtp {
          mode = 0660
          user = postfix
          group = postfix
    }
          mode = 0660
          user = vscan
          group = vscan
    }
          mode = 0660
          user = postfix
          group = postfix
    }
}
}
service imap {}
service pop3 {}
service submission {}
service auth {
    unix_listener auth-userdb {}
}
service auth-worker {}
service dict {
    unix_listener dict {}
}

In case the problem is not obvious to you, you have an extra closing brace (}) after unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {... and before service imap {}

I think you might've mangled your LMTP and auth sections. This is what I have
Code:
auth_mechanisms = plain login
service auth {
    user = postfix
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
  }

inet_listener {
    address = 192.168.1.10
    port = 12345
  }
}

service lmtp {
  vsz_limit = 1G
    user = postfix
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
  }

inet_listener lmtp {
    address = 192.168.1.10
    port = 24
  }
}

Thanks Guys. all three make sense. will attack in am. Actually I hadn't expect to be doing this mush ths long and I actually use [FILE}ee{/FILE]
I was trying to avoid postim massive files. VladBG gave me a tip to two programs. that should help. Lets see. Thanks again. Knew about issues with {}. dint know abbey indentation

For example: comparing files using misc/mc (midnight commander)

View attachment 18789

View attachment 18790

Anyway if you decide to remove all commends from the configuration file you can use sed(1) to remove all lines which start with "#" or "[tab] #" or "empty line"

sed -i.bak -E '/^[ \t]*#|^$/d' file

how it works

Code:
-i.bak        # edit file inplace, create a backup file.bak
-E            # use extended RE re_format (needed for OR "|" operator)
/             # default separator (can be changed with "s" like "s_" )
^[ \t]*#      # first search criteria (null string start of the line, tab, first occurrence of #)
|             # OR
^$            # second search criteria (null string start of the line, null string end of the line)
d             # delete
re_format(7)
sed is awesome

Man that's hard to read formatted like that. Removing all the comments and adding indentation:
Code:
service imap-login {
    inet_listener imap {}
    inet_listener imaps {}
}
service pop3-login {
    inet_listener pop3 {}
    inet_listener pop3s {}
}
}
service lmtp {
          mode = 0660
          user = postfix
          group = postfix
    }
          mode = 0660
          user = vscan
          group = vscan
    }
          mode = 0660
          user = postfix
          group = postfix
    }
}
}
service imap {}
service pop3 {}
service submission {}
service auth {
}
service auth-worker {}
service dict {
    unix_listener dict {}
}

In case the problem is not obvious to you, you have an extra closing brace (}) after unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {... and before service imap {}a
Ok been working at it and trying to understand all the info. (I am too h\old for this)

Ok what I have now for 10-master.conf[/FILE}. is the following.
auth_mechansims = plain login

service imap-login {
inet_listener imap {}
net_listener imaps {}
}
service pop3-login {
inet_listener pop3 {}
inet_listener pop3s {}
}
}
service lmtp {
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}
mode = 0660
user = vscan
group = vscan
}
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}
}
service imap {}
}
service auth {
}
service auth-worker {
}
service dict {
unix_listener dict {
}
}

Apr 19 11:04:09 triggerfish dovecot[91350]: imap-login: Error: Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't load SSL certificate (ssl_cert setting): The certificate is empty: user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.65.133, session=<pclhZnQW9+rIBpdM>
Apr 19 11:04:11 triggerfish dovecot[91350]: auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in configuration file. PLAIN mechanism needs one
Apr 19 11:04:11 triggerfish dovecot[91348]: master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling for 4.000 secs
Apr 19 11:04:11 triggerfish dovecot[91350]: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 2 secs): user=<>, rip=200.6.151.76, lip=209.160.64.187, session=<k/F9ZnQW+urIBpdM>

I trouble with my SSL keys cause the same fault? Oh the ssl_cert reference is symbolic link. Anyone know if this messes things up?

Back