Possible to determine disk order in raidz2?

I have a question that is on-topic for this thread: other than trying to identify which drive has failed, what difference does the order in the pool make?

But that is not supposed to happen. The metadata on each drive identifies it. I have intentionally disconnected and reconnected a RAIDZ1 without keeping track of the drive order. It's possibly I put them back in the same way, I guess. But again, that's supposed to be the point of the metadata: ZFS can figure out which drive is which, regardless of the port.

littlesandra88 said:
@wblock@

In this case it meant that the data got corrupt as the devices in each raidz2 got shuffled.

This is what I meant by my post and @wblock said now a post below: this should really not happened. That's why I asked if, even though different names, same serial numbers are in the pool. It is possible to move those disks around (even among Solaris/OpenSolaris and FreeBSD if the ZFS version is the same).

I'm not that familiar with zdb command (frankly I used it only to check the ashift values), but when I looked on my system:

# zpool list
Code:
portal  10.9T  8.29T  2.59T    76%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
rpool    183G  6.76G   176G     3%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
temple  3.97T  2.49T  1.48T    62%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

# zdb -d portal
Code:
zdb: can't open 'portal': Device not configured

I've the same error. It works on remaining pools. I can work with the pool portal without problem, it survived some reboots already.

Back