Portupgrade claims support has ended.

I have a FreeBSD box with a generic kernel and with five jails. In each jail, and in the host system, freebsd-version produces the output

11.1-RELEASE-p6

but in three of the five jails any attempt to run portupgrade gives me this:

Code:
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

I do not use poudriere jails - I had not heard of them until a few days ago, when I first started searching the fora for an answer, and when the host and jails were still on 11.1-RELEASE-p5.

The host system and two of the jails do not have this problem - yet. But six days ago only one jail was suffering from it.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

I have a FreeBSD box with a generic kernel and with five jails. In each jail, and in the host system, freebsd-version produces the output

11.1-RELEASE-p6

but in three of the five jails any attempt to run portupgrade gives me this:

Code:
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

I do not use poudriere jails - I had not heard of them until a few days ago, when I first started searching the fora for an answer, and when the host and jails were still on 11.1-RELEASE-p5.

The host system and two of the jails do not have this problem - yet. But six days ago only one jail was suffering from it.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

I'd be hesitant to upgrade any of the ones that are already working right now and I'd probably leave well enough alone for a bit while the new flavors change gets it's kinks worked out. It's doing the same on mine whether I downgrade back to 11.1 or leave it at 11.1R-p4 which is the newest version that freebsd-update has been showing me.

Mine is doing more or less the same thing. I don't know about your system, but on mine, it seems to reflect a real problem as in the ports tree seems to think that I have older system libraries than I do and refuses to work with them.

If you do press ahead with doing updates, make good and sure that you've got the necessary backups of the system and/or packages of your ports in case you have to undo it.

It's been getting worse and worse and I fear that I may have to do a reinstall because there's so little information out there about what is causing this problem or what to do about it. I assume that there was some sort of change made to how the ports system detects the version because both quarterly and head are doing the same thing.

Run freebsd-version -u inside the jails. Not the host.

I have run freebsd-version within the jails, and I also have run uname within the host. That gave a version number of 11.1-RELEASE-p4, as I recall, but I seem to remember there being a reason why the uname version can sometimes lag behind that from freebsd-version. The host was certainly at the latest update version of 11.1-RELEASE, as were the jails.

I had feared that mentioning uname in my first post would risk making the situation less clear; unfortunately, not mentioning it appears to have had this effect.

As you quite correctly say, uname gives information about the kernel. So, if a patch that has been applied to the host does not affect the kernel, it will also not affect the version that is reported by uname. Patch 4 for 11.1 did affect the kernel, patches 5 and 6 did not. Hence from uname I get 11.1-RELEASE-p4.

My understanding is that freebsd-version gives information about the latest applied patch, whether it is run in a jail or in the host. Thus my output from freebsd-version is 11.1-RELEASE-p6, whether run on the host or in the jails, since all have had patch 6 applied.

However, this does not seem to address the problem about which I posted, which is that portupgrade reports in some, but not all, of the jails that support has ended for what is actually the latest patched version of 11.1-RELEASE.

As you quite correctly say, uname gives information about the kernel. So, if a patch that has been applied to the host does not affect the kernel, it will also not affect the version that is reported by uname. Patch 4 for 11.1 did affect the kernel, patches 5 and 6 did not. Hence from uname I get 11.1-RELEASE-p4.

My understanding is that freebsd-version gives information about the latest applied patch, whether it is run in a jail or in the host. Thus my output from freebsd-version is 11.1-RELEASE-p6, whether run on the host or in the jails, since all have had patch 6 applied.

However, this does not seem to address the problem about which I posted, which is that portupgrade reports in some, but not all, of the jails that support has ended for what is actually the latest patched version of 11.1-RELEASE.

As far as I can tell the make system is just ignoring the test to decide whether or not to display that message. I see if [ "${INDEX_QUIET}" = "" ]; is supposed to be the determiner of whether or not to display the message, but even if I manually set it to a value in the test, I get the same result. And furthermore, in going through the Makefile, I'm at a loss to figure out where that variable is supposed to be set when the current version is supported. I don't see it mentioned anywhere in any of the files under Mk and it appears only once in the Makefile.

Back