portsnap fetch (FAIL)

Hello, this is my first post here on FreeBSD.org. I am a TOTAL NEWB to BSD, and operating systems in general, but I really want to learn! That's why I am here:

I installed FreeBSD RELEASE 10.2 on an extra laptop. I have been trying to get the ports using
~# portsnap fetch
However I receive the following error:
Code:
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
Fetching public key from portsnap.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.
I think I have a network problem as I cannot ping google and when I ping my router I get this error:
Code:
#~ ping 10.0.0.1
ping: sendto: Host is down
I have been reading forums and documentation but I cannot seem to solve this issue. Thank you for reading. Hope to hear from someone soon. :)

Please do not post multiple identical messages. I asked in the other thread if you were using DHCP. That thread is deleted, so pretend I asked it again.

sorry I did not know what section of the forum to post my question in!!

Yes I am using DHCP now.

I am sorry drhowarddrfine I do not know how to access /etc/rc.conf :(
here is my ifconfig output:

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
IMG_0241.JPG

You've got a network interface and it's working, which is good. It looks like you've got the "i don't know my ip address" ip address. Looking at your rc.conf is probably the first place. If you're not familiar with text editors ( start today! :p ), try:
Code:
 cat /etc/rc.conf

I'd expect to see
Code:
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

One other range of addresses that throws people off is 192.*.*.*. Only the 192.168.0.0/16 range is private RFC1918, everything else is public except for few that are still unassigned (bogons) or reserved.

Back