portsnap fetch error

Hi I tried doing a portsnap fetch and I get the following error:
Code:
root@bsdcompile:~ # portsnap fetch
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from ipv4.aws.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
Updating from Wed Mar 31 14:10:16 BST 2021 to Tue Apr 13 15:20:42 BST 2021.
Fetching 5 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 5 metadata files... /usr/sbin/portsnap: cannot open bc296f38560f99bc3850120ee604754fe95618059f581c280573c208e7c28a89.gz: No such file or directory
metadata is corrupt.
How do I clear the metadata so I can update?
Thanks, Nedry

How do I clear the metadata so I can update?
It's stored in /var/db/portsnap. You can remove the entire contents of that directory (don't delete the directory itself) and it'll fetch everything fresh. Might take a while though, that directory is also the cache where those *.gz files are stored.

Hi I deleted all data in /var/db/portsnap but i ge the same error:
Code:
Fetching 5 metadata files... /usr/sbin/portsnap: cannot open bc296f38560f99bc3850120ee604754fe95618059f581c280573c208e7c28a89.gz: No such file or directory
metadata is corrupt.

Code:
root@bakemono:/ # portsnap fetch update
Updating from Wed Mar 31 10:23:08 CDT 2021 to Tue Apr 13 09:20:42 CDT 2021.
Fetching 5 metadata files... gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file
metadata is corrupt.
root@bakemono:/ #

When it's fixed I'll just do portsnap fetch extract and overwrite the corrupt metadata.

Yeah, seems there's something going wrong somewhere. It's dead slow and I keep getting corrupted files too.
Code:
root@fbsd-test:~ # portsnap fetch
Fetching public key from ipv4.aws.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching snapshot generated at Tue Apr 13 02:29:08 CEST 2021:
338d0da0ff87d35854564889da42ad9556937e0d3b8683          59 MB   40 kBps 25m23s
Extracting snapshot... done.
Verifying snapshot integrity... done.
Updating from Tue Apr 13 02:29:08 CEST 2021 to Tue Apr 13 16:52:34 CEST 2021.
Fetching 5 metadata files... /usr/sbin/portsnap: cannot open 963f0abcacba24a39f612c9ac012e2e91b1b7937f51e5c221b0512d0df751328.gz: No such file or directory
metadata is corrupt.

It seems to be fixed now and everything is back up to speed.

I ran portsnap fetch update and got a full update without running portsnap fetch extract to overwrite the corrupt metadata from earlier.

pkg audit -F showed ftp/curl, www/node and x11-servers/xorg-server vulnerable.

x11-servers/xorg-server and www/node both have an update. ftp/curl is waiting for an updated version.

However, fixing the two vulnerabilities breaks www/firefox-esr and it comes up missing linxul.so. Which means it needs rebuilt in my experience and what I'm doing now on that machine and will be doing for some time with the others. Just so you know ahead of time.

I wouldn't have it any other way and love using ports. 🤖

Doesn't look fixed yet.

Portsnap fetch used to finish in seconds but now takes an hour (!!) on a 1gb line and ends with metadata corrupt error message.

IMHO they should not have released 13.0 before such problems were solved.

Doesn't look fixed yet.

Portsnap fetch used to finish in seconds but now takes an hour (!!) on a 1gb line and ends with metadata corrupt error message.
Once I got the initial update about one hour ago, which was about 23,000 files IIRC, that took its time finishing but everything was back to normal and back up to speed next time I ran portsnap fetch update. That only took a few seconds as is usual and there was only one file updated.

I got a full update to the ports tree as described above and am watching the machine to my right rebuilding www/firefox-esr from the terminal as I type on this one sitting beside it.

portsnap is on the way to bit heaven (sadly, it's worked well for me) and this is all to do with the migration to git for ports. Nothing to do with the release of any version.

You will have to move to something like gitup one day, why not today?

I'm not enthusiatic about having to change but it seems to be working (apart from constrained memory systems).

portsnap is on the way to bit heaven (sadly, it's worked well for me) and this is all to do with the migration to git for ports. Nothing to do with the release of any version.

You will have to move to something like gitup one day, why not today?
I've got 7 more laptops running FreeBSD to update like the one I'm doing now before I do anything.

I may make the change on one of my machines after that to see how difficult it will be to adapt my Beginners Tutorial, but at this point plan on continue using it like I have been till no longer able.

If they wanted to migrate to git they first had to include some basic git-client in the base before forcing users to switch.

Once they've decided to keep portsnap in R13 it had to work as well as before.

Sorry but that's my humble opinion.

I got a corrupt metadata message the first time I ran portsnap fetch update on the next machine.

I ran the command again and it started the correct process with 29,213 patches to be downloaded to update the ports tree.

Then all is back to normal operating procedure.

When they do a RELEASE that includes the port system update in the base system install I'll change my Tutorial. Right now it isn't broke and I don't fix things till they are.

As said, portsnap had problems at first but it's working fine for all my machines now.

athan portsnap works as well as before. There were initial problems until eight hours ago or so but not now. In addition, there were notices and instructions how to use git for several months posted and that worked very well, too. It was easy.

The one machine finished its build of www/firefox-esr, then on hitting the desktop multimedia/audacious had suffered a dependency debacle during the build of Firefox so it had to be rebuilt as well.

Right now that's all done and I'm back on it waiting for the port tree update of ftp/curl. All is going as normal with the other slower machine at work.

portsnap fetch extract update
Updating from Wed Apr 14 02:09:41 CEST 2021 to Wed Apr 14 12:49:06 CEST 2021.
Fetching 5 metadata files... gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file

Bash:
[/var/db/portsnap]$ portsnap fetch update
Updating from Wed Mar 31 08:36:39 IST 2021 to Wed Apr 14 15:00:07 IST 2021.
Fetching 5 metadata files... /usr/sbin/portsnap: cannot open b1b1cb6ba5967e44b1ece8d63f7cb3d01b2c03fcf6691129dcb1cd5b8fe6024f.gz: No such file or directory
metadata is corrupt.

:'‑(😭😓😿🔮

I guess it's not the best moment to update the system and upgrade to 13.0 :p Might wait a while longer.
BTW: Someone did mention that portsnap is going away (sadly) and suggested to use gitup.. Any guidance on how to use the new (Git based) update tool?

I tried portsnap fetchtoday and I just got the following crash:
timeout.png

Not good. I really need to use the ports tree.

portsnap(8) is still being worked on. If you really must have a ports tree NOW then I suggest you use git to checkout a fresh copy.

But that error doesn't have anything to do with portsnap(8) though. You might be having disk issues too.

Leaving out the possible disk issues SirDice mentioned, if you don't want to use devel/git or one of its flavors, as well not net/gitup, download freebsd-ports-main.zip snapshot file from https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports (green "Code" button, ~ 100MB).

GitHub freebsd-ports mirror is equal up to date as the official git repository (a few minutes apart probably). The unziped ports directory needs to be renamed before used and is IIRC portsnap(8) compatible.

Back