portmaster problem

When I try to update any software (for example perl) using portmaster I get this:

Code:
===>>> Waiting on fetch & checksum for lang/perl5.8 <<<===
===>  Found saved configuration for perl-5.8.9
=> perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/perl.
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module/../../src/.
perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2

=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module/../../src/.
perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2

perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2

But when I go to the perl's ports directory and try to install it manually it downloads the source tarball and installs without problem, is there any problem with portmaster or am I not doing it right?

I'm not sure I understood your problem because you didn't post what is actually the issue. What did fail exactly?

Still you want to install portmaster:
Code:
# portmaster target_port

To check upward and downward dependecies:
Code:
# portmaster -r target_port

To rebuild all dependencies:
Code:
# portmaster -f target_port

To uninstall the port and its dependencies:
Code:
# portmaster -e target_port

For what you've posted it seems you are just pulling the distfiles:
Code:
# portmaster -F target_port

It keeps dumping this output and doesn't do anything.
Before this, I kept getting the same thing with the below line added to it:
Code:
Refetch for 1 more times files: perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2
What did in response to this is as follows:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/distfiles/perl/
rm -rf *
portmaster /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
It downloaded other dependencies but did not download perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2. So I manually tried to install this port:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/distfiles/perl/
rm -rf *
cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
make install clean
It downloaded all the dependencies and the perl tarball but didn't install coz there was an older version already installed. Again I invoked portmaster:
Code:
portmaster /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
Since all the files were downloaded and checksums were already verified, portmaster updated the perl port. So basically the problem solved, but still I wanted to know why did portmaster kept dumping tht output in my 1st post and not download the file?

Yeah weird. Probably the distfile had a wrong checksum.

Consider searching the mailing lists. Maybe someone came across the same behaviour.

tangram said:
Yeah weird. Probably the distfile had a wrong checksum.

Consider searching the mailing lists. Maybe someone came across the same behaviour.

I had problem with postmaster when I installed QT4 and with KDE. Looks like that postmaster has a problem with FreeBSD 7.1.
When portmaster had problem portupgrade works fine.

NIX-Knight said:
When I try to update any software (for example perl) using portmaster I get this:

Code:
=> Attempting to fetch from [url=ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module/../../src/]ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/C ... ../../src/[/url].
perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2[/quote]

That's normal. Portmaster fetches stuff in the background, and if the fetch is not complete when the main process for that port comes to the build phase it prints the last few lines of the fetch log until the fetch is done. Because of limitations to the logging you don't see the percentage downloaded in the log, but if you just let that finish it will start building when the fetch is done.

Hope this helps,

Doug

tangram said:
To check upward and downward dependecies:
# portmaster -r target_port

Please check the man page about the -r option because your description is not accurate. Other than this it was fine though.

hth,

Doug

Back