portmaster -o without rebuild

I have had to use & run
portmaster -o lang/python27 lang/python26
several times. But this command also re-builds py27 each time, while the port is totally up-to-date. I have tried the -oR, -orR variations but they do not work. Is there a way to run this and not re-build, just do the substitution on the depends db?

Separately, why do I keep having to do this? In my make.conf I already have:
Code:
WITH_PYTHON_VER=27
Now I'll have to add:
Code:
PYTHON26_PORT= lang/python27

Just realized: should it be USE or OVERRIDE instead of WITH?

Some ports simply require python26. If a port specifically depends on python26 it will install it regardless of what you've set as a default.

Shouldn't it be the other way round (to replace Python 2.6 with Python 2.7)?
Code:

Did you read /usr/ports/UPDATING?

mousaka

@mousaka:
Yes, obviously you are right; slip of the keyboard when trying to do 1001 things at once.
Nevertheless, the command (even when correctly used) re-builds the alredy up-to-date port.
Did you read /usr/ports/UPDATING?
New ports I am trying to install keep pulling in py26, and I cannot override that.

If you are saying I could use this?: PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION; it is unclear as this it seems, keeps py26 onboard.

@SirDice:
Some ports simply require python26. If a port specifically depends on python26 it will install it regardless of what you've set as a default.
DO NOT WANT :)
I am thinking that just as you have OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT= f10, could the same logic not be applied?

#1: I'll answer my first question from original post: portmaster -o has to re-install the port each time, as during the installation it also processes links, triggers, etc for the ports which depended on the old (the one being substituted) port. A conceivable workaround would be to keep a package of the port from the first build so that re-running the command would at least save on the build time (since make will produce the exact same package each time) and only the install would have to be processed.

#2 @ mousaka:
Thanks, but I think you are kind of missing the point my friend. The update-site-packages procedure descibed in UPDATING is ONLY for 26 --> 27 update. What if I wanted to update to 31? The procedure does not support that as the Makefile in python limits the version to 2x. My question was a "general settings" one and not an updating issue. This is for a clean install, and should not have pulled in python26 in the first place anyway.

# 3: @SirDice
You are right, and we have had this discussion before (or more accurately you have tried to help me about this in past threads). I guess what I don't get at this point is that I expect backwards compatibility from the next generation port and in certain cases maybe I am not that interested whether this will break the port or not. So I would VERY MUCH be able to override this. Here is another excellent example of the problem: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=127979#post127979

Back