portmaster -a fails with 'No ORIGIN in ....'

I've been getting warnings while adding packages and installing ports complaining that some gstreamer components (as well as a few other) have no origin. Looks like it is finally caught up with me with:
Code:
tsunami# portmaster -a
===>>> Gathering distinfo list for installed ports

===>>> Starting check of installed ports for available updates
	===>>> No ORIGIN in /var/db/pkg/gstreamer-plugins-core-0.10_12/+CONTENTS

===>>> No ORIGIN in /var/db/pkg/gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.10.0_1/+CONTENTS

===>>> No ORIGIN in /var/db/pkg/gstreamer-plugins-core-0.10_12/+CONTENTS

===>>> Cannot continue
===>>> Aborting update

Terminated
tsunami#
I checked the offending +CONTENTS files and they are zero length. Scraped the handbook, forum and google, however, have not been able to find a way to repair this.

Is there a recommended way to fix? Is there a way to avoid this issue going forward?

10.12 was from June 2009. /usr/ports/UPDATING has numerous entries on special procedures needed to update those ports since then. At this point, though, it might be easiest to just pkg_delete(1) them. Then install the current version and run portmaster --check-depends.

Watching /usr/ports/UPDATING helps to avoid problems.

Woe is me. UPDATING didn't provide any help that I could find for the issue. Turns out that pkg_delete and make deinstall both failed for the packages complaining that the packages were not installed. On top of that trying to force a pkg_add or make install clean for the packages would not work either.

Knowing that I would re-install the whole system upon release of 9.0, I removed all references to the offending packages from /var/db/pkg and /var/db/ports and re-ran portmaster. Worked fine, and am now up to date with ports.

je33 said:
Knowing that I would re-install the whole system upon release of 9.0, I removed all references to the offending packages from /var/db/pkg and /var/db/ports and re-ran portmaster. Worked fine, and am now up to date with ports.

With +CONTENTS files that contain no useful information this is the only solution. Well done. :)

Back