Porting Linux IOCTL based applications

kantor

Hi, I wrote a program in Linux that uses specific IOCTL's specifically from the Linux SCSI subsystem the SG_IO and some other CD-ROM IOCTL's (like ejecting/closing the tray and such).
The project is at sourceforge, If you want to take a look here is the project homepage: http://odman.sourceforge.net
I'm using Linux at home, and sometimes FreeBSD. (In the last time I started to use FreeBSD more). But I have no advanced knowledge about the FreeBSD SCSI subsystem and I have no idea if it is possible to port such a program to FreeBSD, but if it's possible I would like to do it (maybe with some help).

OP
OP
kantor

kantor

yes, and no. For instance in the program there are functionalities like reading the identify information from the device controller, or sending close/eject and such commands. In this case you can use the an sg device. But there is a transfer rate test included too. With the test you need to use a block device, the sg driver is a character device so you can't use the sg driver/device to read data from the CD/DVD. (at least this is in linux)

rdivacky@

Developer

I know no details but there are two positive news for you :)

1) we dont distinguish block/char devices in fbsd anymore so it might "just work"

2) there is some ioctl translation support in the linuxulator, I dont know it might be sufficient, there are some CDROM related ioctls

just go and try that

OP
OP
kantor

kantor

Maybe I need to do some background research in this field but I don't know if it worth's. I do not want to do useless work like porting the software to FreeBSD but nobody gonna use it

Mel_Flynn

kantor said:
Maybe I need to do some background research in this field but I don't know if it worth's. I do not want to do useless work like porting the software to FreeBSD but nobody gonna use it
I would start by browsing cdrecord source. Things like eject, transfer rate and so on are covered and it's written highly portable.
A good follow up may be investigating FreeBSD's camcontrol(8) sources and the cam(4) interface in general.

It would help if you posted some details about what your program can do and/or look through FreeBSD ports sysutils/ category (cdrecord, dvd+rwtools, k3b to name a few).

OP
OP
kantor

kantor

Mel_Flynn said:
It would help if you posted some details about what your program can do and/or look through FreeBSD ports sysutils/ category (cdrecord, dvd+rwtools, k3b to name a few).
The program uses the SG_IO ioctl or if that is too old or if it is not present falls back to CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl (this is in linux)
The program can do the followings:
- enable/disable auto eject mode
- lock/unlock the tray
- close/eject the tray
- kernel level device debugging
- device resets
- getting the identification information from the controller
including supported DMA/PIO modes, supported/enabled
device features, S-ATA specific informations, and a lot more
- getting the Multi-Media informations like read/write
capabilities, writing modes, buffer size, model, firmware,
serial number . . .
- transfer rate test with direct/indirect IO, adjustable buffer
size and such . . .
- and some other functionalities . . .

I would like to port it but, I don't know if such an utility is useful for the FreeBSD users

halplus

I would like to port it but, I don't know if such an utility is useful for the FreeBSD users
It is usefull for Linux users? Why wouldn't be for us? Of course we would prefer BSD/Beerware license and eventually somebody will feel unconftable enought with GPL to replace it just because of that.