Porting Grass7

It's been while now Grass7 (https://grass.osgeo.org) is released and I would like to port it on the ports tree. Actually, only the version 6 is available: databases/grass. This port is unmaintained.

I never ported a software before and I'm not really sure how to proceed. I think the best way is to create a new port: databases/grass7. This way, the two versions can cohabit. Do you think it's the best way to work?

Moreover, and in order to avoid duplicated work, I would like to know if someone is already working on this update and if so, how can I contribute.

I agree with regards to creating a new port for grass7. It is nice to have two copies, one that is known to work and a new one for new/experimental features. The grass6 port will probably be a good place to start looking to learn how to put together a port.

As GIS user, I tried also to port Grass7 without success... I also agree to have both port grass6 and grass7.
What is your progress with it?

I'm always struggling with the issue detailed here: Thread 56766. To summarize, I understand that we need to correctly set
Code:
CONFIGURE_TARGET
but I'm not able to figure it out. It's really great that you are also trying to port Grass. Why are you not able to do it?

I'm able to compile Grass7 but, when called, Grass doesn't find wxpython. On the previous version, this file lives in /usr/local/grass-6.4.3/gui. With Grass7, it seems it lives in /usr/local/grass7.2.0RC1. I tried to change the folder name to remove the RC1 part (i.e. grass7.2.0) but it doesn't work and I presume it's not the recommended way to solve this issue.

There is a problem somewhere (tm), try to patch this file /usr/local/bin/grass72 with:
Code:
--- /usr/local/bin/grass72      2016-11-05 14:16:05.000000000 +0100 
+++ /usr/local/bin/grass72      2016-11-07 16:24:33.426890000 +0100 
@@ -102,7 +102,7 @@ if 'GISBASE' in os.environ: 
    # possibly same for GRASS_PROJSHARE and others but maybe not 
    gisbase = os.environ['GISBASE'] 
else: 
-    gisbase = "//grass-7.2.0RC1" 
+    gisbase = "/usr/local/grass-7.2.0RC1" 
cmd_name = "grass72" 
grass_version = "7.2.0RC1" 
ld_library_path_var = 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'

I've updated my port, it should work now.
If you have an error about Numpy put this env variable in your shell GRASS_WXVERSION 3.0.2.0

Tested and it works! Thank you!

Except that I still have an error about Numpy even if I did something like
export GRASS_WXVERSION=3.0.2.0
or
export GRASS_WXVERSION=3.0.2
or
export GRASS_WXVERSION=`wxgtk2u-3.0-config --version`

Also, some modules aren't built/installed (v.buffer for example).

I can't investigate it this week.

Regards.

The Numpy error seems to happen during the compilation. The module is not imported. It looks like it's linked with GCC:
Code:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from . import multiarray
ImportError: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version GCC_4.6.0 required by /usr/local/lib/gcc49/libgfortran.so.3 not found

The Numpy error seems to happen during the compilation. The module is not imported. It looks like it's linked with GCC:
Code:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from . import multiarray
ImportError: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version GCC_4.6.0 required by /usr/local/lib/gcc49/libgfortran.so.3 not found
It's just the nonsense we have with base libgcc vs ports libgcc... You can workaround it by putting the correct mapping for libgcc in /etc/libmap.conf

Any news?
I've tried to build the acheron's port on poudriere for 11amd64 (I've launched built for 10,11,12 amd64/i386 this night, so wait.) without success :(
You can see log here

Regards!

With your help, I think I'm very close to achieving this goal.
Still a problem with gcc/fortran and other minor problems. How do you configure libmap for this?

You need something like this:
Code:
libgcc_s.so.1   gcc49/libgcc_s.so.1
libgomp.so.1    gcc49/libgomp.so.1
libssp.so.0     gcc49/libssp.so.0
libstdc++.so.6  gcc49/libstdc++.so.6

It works!
Just some missing modules.
upload_2017-7-23_15-41-12.png

Back