Solved Porting Electrum Bitcoin wallet

Hello!

Looked around a bit and realised it seems like FreeBSD is not having any Bitcoin wallet natively available? I would love to see Electrum ported or maybe some other Bitcoin wallet software which doesn't have to download the whole Bitcoin blockchain database...

Question number 2 is whether it is possible to compile or install Electrum on FreeBSD 8.4? I have one old Pentium MMX machine and managed to install 8.4 (9 and 10 failed because of some boot problems).

One more... is it possible to upgrade 8.4 to 9 or 8.4 to maybe even 10.

BTW, I'm fairly new around, please don't get mad at me because I may post stupid questions :). By far, FreeBSD is the best OS I've tried, I'm simply amazed and even considering making it my primary desktop.

If anybody did the port for Electrum then it can certainly get added if a PR was created for it. It may be some time before it gets reviewed as there is a rather large backlog of PRs and I'll contribute as much as my time and sanity allow.

FreeBSD 8.4 is no longer supported as of earlier this year (https://www.FreeBSD.org/security/unsupported.html). There's no support for running ports on 8.x anymore and many ports have had any conditional code supported 8.x removed.

A freebsd-update(8) from 8.4 to a newer release should work just fine.

Thanks! I should have searched for this before posting.

From 8 to 10 is possible, right?
Yes. You'll want to apply all the errata beforehand as there was a few for freebsd-update(8) that addressed upgrades to 10.x.

Since the finance/electrum is already in the ports collection we've covered the topic of this thread. If you have extra questions on freebsd-update(8) then please open a thread in installing/updating.

Back