port tree circular dependencies

Dear,

I just find the following circular dependencies in the port tree: devel/sdl12 need devel/zziplib to install and zziplib need sdl to install (graphic/ImageMagick, sysutils/fusefs-smbnetfs,...)

I run:
Code:
FreeBSD daemonBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6 #0: Tue Feb 24 18:57:59 UTC 2015
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
Date of the port installation: 2015-03-09

It fill the memory and finally crash my tmux session:
Code:
swap_pager: out of swap space
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
pid 54755 (tmux), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
Mar 13 12:39:07 daemonBSD kernel: pid 54755 (tmux), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
Quick fix: I install zziplib with pkg and return to build sysutils/fusefs-smbnetfs

Do I need to fill a PR?

Regards,
l2f

I find another one for grephic/ImageMagick : doxygen and graphviz
Code:
===>   ImageMagick-6.9.0.4,1 depends on shared library: libgvc.so - not found
===>   graphviz-2.38.0_6 depends on shared library: libIL.so - not found
===>   devil-1.7.8_20,1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/sdl-config - not found
===>   sdl-1.2.15_5,2 depends on shared library: libpulse-simple.so - not found
===>   pulseaudio-5.0_3 depends on shared library: libjack.so - not found
===>   jackit-0.124.1_2 depends on executable: doxygen - not found
*** ===>   doxygen-1.8.9.1,2 depends on executable: dot - not found
*** ===>   graphviz-2.38.0_6 depends on shared library: libIL.so - not found
===>   devil-1.7.8_20,1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/sdl-config - not found
===>   sdl-1.2.15_5,2 depends on shared library: libpulse-simple.so - not found
===>   pulseaudio-5.0_3 depends on shared library: libjack.so - not found
===>   jackit-0.124.1_2 depends on executable: doxygen - not found
*** ===>   doxygen-1.8.9.1,2 depends on executable: dot - not found
*** ===>   graphviz-2.38.0_6 depends on shared library: libIL.so - not found
l2f

I have run portmaster graphic/ImageMagick on a test installation without problems. After finished the installation I could run display. Please consider to install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and run pkg_libchk which checks the libraries. If the tool reports issues please fix them before installing additional software.

If I remember correctly, circular dependency issues can sometimes also be the result of mixing ports and packages. l2f, did you run pkg_libchk as mentioned by chrbr above and if so did you find any issues?

If I remember correctly, circular dependency issues can sometimes also be the result of mixing ports and packages.
I usually get it when I try to experiment with port options. Sometimes options from different ports are conflicting and cause the circular dependency.

I usually get it when I try to experiment with port options. Sometimes options from different ports are conflicting and cause the circular dependency.

It would be of course nice if such combination of options wasn't allowed. There are however literally infinite number of option combinations (combinatorial explosion is the exact term used) so testing for a dependency loop in a general case is very hard. Anyone who is a port maintainer shouldn't be expected to prepare in advance for some other port causing a circular dependency with one of his/her ports.

Back