Please create a -current forum

IIRC you used to talk about downvotes. I know that has been frustrating before when people get overly opinionated, and offer some off rationale. Well, ok.

I haven't seen real jerks there, but maybe once. They were mean to someone, then frame it like it's ok for them to be mean to someone. They dragged out drama, after someone else regrets responding to them, because of such anticipated drama. After ignoring it at first, and after wondering why someone hasn't shown up in a while, I go in there in a place I wouldn't go to tell them off. They play the victim, when I told them it's wrong to act like that. Then they play chameleon, like as if their personality is not the one who would have done that, but the one who was in the shoes of the person who gets attacked.

Then, they keep bringing up things I've already explained. Then some new assholes show up bitching about things I've already explained, Then they keep gaslighting, and acting like they're the big person, when they haven't been at all, just shifting their personality back and forth from petty to trying to sound reasonable.

They act like they're two different people, like someone who I should be sympathetic to their problems, while they express their lack sympathy for someone else. I guess this is a new example of the victim card. Luckily, most people aren't like that.

Other than that, Reddit's ok.

More specifically, Stack Exchange
That's the general site and far too general. That includes metal working and anything else you can think of.

For operating system questions, Stack Overflow is NOT the right place and I will be the first to close your question if you ask it there. The proper place would be https://unix.stackexchange.com/
Stack Overflow is for programming questions only.

But therein lies my current gripe with SO. It has gone downhill over the past several months and more. The allowed questions and quality of questions and answers has gotten horrible. Where I would once peruse everything asked there, now I stick to specific categories to avoid that.

To make matters worse, the allowed questions has become too broad and unclear. You can ask questions about server configuration even though there is a server stack exchange. Questions about cron are now considered programming.

Recently I got myself into trouble by voting to close and delete some questions and answers and explaining to the poster why I was closing them. I was told I was wrong by the higher ups but, then, the questions or answers got deleted by others higher up than me.

It's gotten too frustrating and I've started pulling back from my duties there. Other long time moderators have left altogether--and I'm talking something close to the hundred I'm aware of.

That said, it's often the first place I find the answer to my question when I Google for something.

I got that.
Cron is along the lines of scripting.
Still saying, scripting can be considered programming. HTML and XML can't be at all, and they don't compare.

… it can break at any time, …

The same is true for stable/13, for example kernel panics (system crashes) and corrupted icons in applications such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

If it's true that FreeBSD Forums is more for STABLE than for CURRENT, then it's remarkable that no-one here experienced the breakage:

1645149489160.png

There's a non-alarmist approach to use of STABLE.

We need not take an alarmist approach to use of CURRENT.

For the people who sense no significant change since 2013: this is not true.

Please, at least, be aware of:
  • CI-related improvements
  • automation that more often than not finds an issue before it's found by an end user.

1645149858485.png

Back