pkgdb fails after upgrade ro ruby 1.9

I just upgraded my Freebsd FreeBSD 8.4 with Ruby 1.9. After the upgrade I followed the directions in the UPDATING file of /usr/ports. I gave a portmaster -o lang/ruby19 lang/ruby18 and portmaster -R -r ruby-1.9. The error I get is:
Code:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `required cannot load such file -- pkgtools (LoadError)

Short of going to my backup and restoring Ruby 1.8 can someone such a solution?

Thank you.

Alan

You might need to manually rebuild the RubyGem for BDB. But I wonder: if you're using Portmaster, why are you using pkgdb at all? I think pkgdb is part of Portupgrade and isn't used with Portmaster. Perhaps you can simply remove Portupgrade and forget about pkgdb. I may be misremembering, in which case I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

Thank you for all your help. I guess I'm still stuck in the old way of doing things, having started with FreeBSD 5. I have marginally started to use Portmaster and only tried to use it when I confronted difficulties with pkgdb and used the suggestions in the UPDATING file.

Alan

Thank you, everyone. I've never used Portmaster before for port upgrading. It certainly makes life easier than what I've been using for years.

Alan

Although there's nothing wrong with portupgrade, I've used it for many years, I think portmaster is a better tool. If only because it doesn't have any dependencies and doesn't rely on a database that's prone to corruption.

Back