pkg_add -v -r goes to wrong directory

When I type
pkg_add -v -r perl

I see

Code:
Error: Unable to get [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/perl.tbz:[/url] File unavailable (e.g., 
file not found no access)

OK, see that there indeed is no such directory. I see a lot of other directories like package-8.2-release. Did I miss something in the man page? Apparently I need to tell pkg_add to use a directory like package-8.2-release. How do I do that?

Thanks,
siegfried

Thanks! The link says

Code:
The environment variable PACKAGESITE specifies an alternate location for
     pkg_add to fetch from.  This variable subverts the automatic directory
     logic that pkg_add uses when the -r option is invoked.  Thus it should be
     a complete URL to the remote package file(s).

So I think that means it should point to the exact tgz file and not the directory? That is strange. It would be far more useful if I could set it to the release-8.1 directory.

It sounds much more convenient to just specify the entire package name on the command line since I have to type the entire beast anyway. So what can I assume about compatibility? Since I am running v8.0 what would be the next most compatible directory? 8.1 would be my guess.

Thanks
siegfried

Code:
 ncftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/lang ; ls -lac pe*
If you install ncftp(3) first, then use those commands and the "get" for the desired perl package, you can maybe pkg_add it locally. (the "ls" command after connection at the ftp prompt)

siegfried01 said:
So I think that means it should point to the exact tgz file and not the directory? That is strange. It would be far more useful if I could set it to the release-8.1 directory.

It sounds much more convenient to just specify the entire package name on the command line since I have to type the entire beast anyway.
It points to the directory. All available repositories are available here (for i386). For example, if you want let's say 8.2-RELEASE packages, you point PACKAGESITE to this repository subdirectory.
The 8-STABLE repository has the latest packages (just a few weeks or days behind ports).

If you're using a C-based shell, you can set the environment variable in /.cshrc, e.g.:
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Latest/

You download packages and their dependencies like this:
# pkg_add -r package_name
package_name is the exact name without the path, version or .tbz extension. If you want to use versions, for any reason, change PACKAGESITE to point to the All directory instead of Latest.

siegfried01 said:
If you want the latest packages point it to a mirror and use the "*/Latest/" directory, for example:
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest/

The Latest directory doesn't have specific version numbers so you can do
# pkg_add -r portmaster
instead of having to specify an exact version when using the All directory
# pkg_add -r portmaster-3.6.1

The "*/i386/*" refers to the architecture and "*/packages-8-stable/*" to the package tree.

Note that these packages are being build on an 8-stable system but should run fine on a -release. I do advise to update your 8.0, it's not supported anymore. Besides that the newer versions run better anyway :e

Oh, yeah, and what beasty says. I'm a bit slow today, must be the weather :h

Back