pkg: No SRV record found for the repo 'FreeBSD'

I keep getting the message pkg: No SRV record found for the repo 'FreeBSD' when running pkg install <foo>. It's not serious, a pkg update fixes the issue. But it is mildly annoying as it happens almost every time (ie: randomly) I try to install something. Why is this? As I said, it's not serious: just mildly annoying, and totally unpredictable. Thanks!

I'm not too switched on when it comes to networking. My resolv.conf file just has my router's ip address. Is that what you mean?

On a side note: one day I will create a post and put it into the correct forum! Promise!

But, as I mentioned, it's not at all serious. a It's good practice to update before installing, but it happens a bit too often! Like 20 minutes after the last update!

My resolv.conf file just has my router's ip address. Is that what you mean?
Yes, that's typical for home modem/routers. DNS requests are sent to the router and the router forwards them to the internet.

It may also be a setting in pkg.conf. What version of pkg(8) do you have? You may need to set mirror_type to none.

one day I will create a post and put it into the correct forum! Promise!
Don't worry about it, we move a lot of posts anyway. We understand it's sometimes not entirely clear in what section a question belongs.

Yes, that's typical for home modem/routers. DNS requests are sent to the router and the router forwards them to the internet.

It may also be a setting in pkg.conf. What version of pkg(8) do you have? You may need to set mirror_type to none.

Don't worry about it, we move a lot of posts anyway. We understand it's sometimes not entirely clear in what section a question belongs.
I'll have a look at my pkg.conf file in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion.
I saw the forum post you refer to. But I read it like there was some kind of serious issue, while I only have a minor inconvenience. Which is why I posted my question anyway. I do make a habit of searching the forum before posting :)

Back