pkg autoremove: totally unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong answer, they are no less "official" than the older portmaster and portuprade tools. The real reason is that you never need apply those hacky workarounds when using pkg-upgrade(8) with a binary repository such as the official repositories or one built by yourself. pkg(8) is able to use its rather clever conflict solver when used with a binary repo to figure out which packages have to replaced to avoid conflicts when doing updates, this is not possible at all with portmaster that still installs only one port at a time.
Then they still cover, first in line, portmaster/portupgrade and then pkg for binary users. This is becouse I think they think the most of FreeBSD users do install from source and then they offer a tool that cover binary installs.

And BTW, I didn't say pkg is horrible at all, I just said autoremove IMHO is a useless and dangerous tool. And IMHO they should rethink about it. That's all. Nothing more and nothing less. I hope they think about offering the option to eliminate the whole Gnome becouse gnome-meta is not installed. And look at the code, becouse they want delete Clang on a system where Chromium is installed and delete Samba becouse just the Good God knows why.

The first lines should suffice : http://blog.shatow.net/posts/2015-04-27-Poudriere-FreeBSD-Journal.
And just in case you wonder who is Bryan Drewery : https://github.com/bdrewery.
I don't discuss the quality of Poudriere (in fact I do not speak about things I didn't try myself), I just said they do not covering it in /usr/ports/UPDATING, that's all.

To avoid hijacking this post, we should stay to the original problem: the broken output of pkg autoremove command on ALL my systems and what to do related with it.

It's been said many times now, but you're just not accepting it: There's nothing to do. There's no problem, this is pure user error. Simply stating that it's broken doesn't make it so. Seriously, has a single person agreed with you on this topic?

It's been said many times now, but you're just not accepting it: There's nothing to do. There's no problem, this is pure user error. Simply stating that it's broken doesn't make it so. Seriously, has a single person agreed with you on this topic?
User error? You make me laugh like the output of pkg autoremove. My systems are perfectly coherent and tailored for my needs. I don't need gnome-meta to make them better and to run Gnome programs I need. :p

well, that's your core issue then.
Actually it's a pkg autoremove issue, not surely mine core issue. I can deal with it, then it is usefull to discuss it. Maybe a less skilled user could press "y" and destroy his/her system becouse of a dumb command output. In fact I will advise people building FreeBSD always from source like me, to totally avoid the use of pkg suite if not for pkg delete and WITH "-f" option to avoid any surprise. Maybe pkg check -d could be usefull too, then be fast to press Ctrl-C after it show broken dependencies. This is my advise to newbies.

Newbies should not be taking advice from somebody that refuses to consider they're wrong, or somebody that gets themselves in the situation that you have. You seem to think this situation is common, but I doubt it is. Please, don't give anyone advice on how to use (or not use) binary packages.

I did also run pkg autoremove and I have many ports for remove but nothing from GNOME3. I had long time ago installed KDE4 and I did remove and I know there are ports related to KDE still on my disk. I am using Synth and If I have a problem it will be easy to install packages from Synth. I do not know why want to remove VLC but it is not a problem :)
BTW: I have also installed Fluxbox and CDE and looks like there are no related ports for remove.

In fact I will advise people building FreeBSD always from source like me, to totally avoid the use of pkg suite if not for pkg delete and WITH "-f" option to avoid any surprise. Maybe pkg check -d could be usefull too, then be fast to press Ctrl-C after it show broken dependencies. This is my advise to newbies.
At this point, I have to call this trolling. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but:
  1. Advising people to use pkg delete -f as a routine procedure is dangerously stupid at best.
  2. I've been using pkg(8) for years and haven't run pkg check once. Not once. I had to even look up the man page afer reading the quoted comment to learn that it actually existed.
  3. Hanky-panky joined back in 2012; you'd have to actively avoid information on pkg to be so unaware of how packages and ports work for that long.

At this point, I have to call this trolling. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but:
  1. Advising people to use pkg delete -f as a routine procedure is dangerously stupid at best.
  2. I've been using pkg(8) for years and haven't run pkg check once. Not once. I had to even look up the man page afer reading the quoted comment to learn that it actually existed.
  3. Hanky-panky joined back in 2012; you'd have to actively avoid information on pkg to be so unaware of how packages and ports work for that long.
You definitely misunderstanding. pkg delete -f is to avoid pkg suite messed up your whole system deleting big deal of your collection in the name of dependencies tree. With pkg check -d you can then always check if and which dependencies are broken and if you need or don't to rebuild those ports or delete those ports if not needed or again live up with those programs without the not needed dependencies.

I know, you need that smart mind to do that, think about the real usability of your system, avoid to think, like pkg(8) seems to do, that if you do not have gnome-meta installed all gnome software need to be deleted, and this attitude doesn't seems to suite your attitude.

Ps: sorry for no formatting then I'm on my beloved iPhone.

Someone here pointed to poudriere(8) ans synth as alternatives to pkg(8) or even portmaster(8). I read something about those programs ans find not suitable for my simple needs to build my system with heavy personalized collection of ports for my needs.

Those software simply builds locale repositories, not needed if you always work over very fast intranet and internet connections, so totally and completely out of the scope of this thread.

PS: I know they also call pkg and even portmaster to build repositories and install packages, then it is still an added layer of complexity and a waste of resource for many connected users like me.

You're still talking gibberish.
A) Nothing is an alternative to pkg(8). Pkg is required, full stop.
B) you're saying you want to build EVERYTHING from source, but you can't assemble a repository because it's "too much"? You've done 99.5% of the work already. It's nonsense.
C) it's even possible to install built packages directly (no respository) using pkg add -F or synth command

The bottom line is that your mistaken is wrong in many areas, you're making decisions based on these mistakes, and the worst part is that you're arguing with authority --- convinced you are correct -- against people that know better.

Nobody really cares what you decide to do ultimately, but it would be nice if this thread achieved that you could recognize the things you don't understand (even if you continue not to understand them).

You're still talking gibberish.
B) you're saying you want to build EVERYTHING from source, but you can't assemble a repository because it's "too much"? You've done 99.5% of the work already. It's nonsense.
We are hijacking the original thread, not my fault, then I want to clarify.

Why should I need a local repository when packages become old soon and there are always new ports to build? A waste of disk space, considering I never ever have to reinstall my packages considering all my systems works as expected all the time.

If i do choose FreeBSD for some of my stuff it is becouse OS is very reliable so it simply works without too many hassles.

You have another thread complaining about pkg so you're merely trolling. Without any attention the troll will leave.
Hey Genius, both this pkg threads were opened by me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back