pkg 1.3.7 --> 1.3.8 on FreeBSD 9

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been addressed previously. I am trying to make a couple of ports in the ports tree on a FreeBSD 9.1 and getting the message:
Code:
pkg(8) must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have 1.3.7. You must upgrade the ports-mgmt/pkg port first

Unfortunately, the binary repository for FreeBSD 9 is still at version 1.3.7. This is my first problem, anyone knows the ETA on the 1.3.8 package? In the meantime I cannot build any port from the ports tree even if I insert
Code:
WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes
in my make.conf. Any suggestions on that? Was there any change that made the WITHOUT_PKGNG env variable inoperative?

As an aside, I initially didn't have pkg, so I tried to go to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg and make WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes. Unsurprisingly, this also didn't work, saying that I dind't have pkg(!). I eventually bootstrapped pkg by issuing pkg directly and answering yes, but unfortunately I got 1.3.7, blimey.

aduitsis said:
In the meantime I cannot build any port from the ports tree even if I insert

Code:
WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes

in my make.conf.
This won't work. The code checks for the existence of WITH_PKGNG and only enables pkg(8) if it exists. Any other variation isn't checked.

Hello, thanks for the reply,

I've put both

Code:
WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes
WITH_PKGNG=no

(I also tried with WITH_PKGNG=0)

in my make.conf but I still cannot convince it not to use pkgng when making.

Is there anywhere else where those variables get defined?

Thanks,

There is no longer any way to not to use pkg(). The only way to do that is to go back to the last version of ports where the old package tools were still supported. That ended on the first of September.

aduitsis said:
Code:
WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes
WITH_PKGNG=no
Neither would have worked. The code checks for the existence of the variable WITH_PKGNG not it's value. You will see those constructs a lot, especially with port KNOBS.

I just posted in another thread a code block updating (v9) 1.3.8 to 1.3.8_2 if anyone reading this thread needs the modified reinstall informations (a customary reinstall failed...)

Back