Solved PHP upgrade using pkg - the right way

Hi all

I'm new to this Forum, but I take care of our FreeBSD server since many years. I used the build the world and ports from source, but with FreeBSD 11.0 I switched to freebsd-update and pkg.
Most of my common admin tasks I can perform with very little effort, but a PHP upgrade is still one of the biggest challenges to me.
I did the following, and expected the system to automatically upgrade:
  1. 14 Sept 2020 - In the UPDATING file it was mentioned that the default version of PHP switched from 7.2 to 7.4
  2. 06 Oct 2020 - The quarterly Package build has completed
  3. 08 Oct 2020 - I executed sudo pkg upgrade which upgraded 101 packages, but PHP is still 7.2
After step 3 I expected the system to upgrade my installed PHP 7.2 packages to PHP 7.4. But this didn't happen.

Do I have to wait any further? Or do I expect the wrong thing to happen?

Cheers

PS: Not sure where my first post went...[/CMD]
[/LIST]

There is no automatic package upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4: Your mentioned UPDATING file explains that users of packages have to check which PHP 7.2 packages are installed ("pkg info php7\*"); Based on this list you can install the corresponding PHP 7.4 packages - and afterwards remove the old ones.

There is no automatic package upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4: Your mentioned UPDATING file explains that users of packages have to check which PHP 7.2 packages are installed ("pkg info php7\*"); Based on this list you can install the corresponding PHP 7.4 packages - and afterwards remove the old ones.
Hi jmos, I thought it went automatic from 6.x to 7.x.. but it looks like I was wrong. This upgrade only happens every few years...

Back