php 8.1 when will be available

That very much depends on the port maintainer. php ports appear to be managed by tz@; glancing at the port statistics, he's reasonably active.

Bottom line: there's multiple factors that will influence how fast it'll be ready:
  • how much time tz@ has available
  • how many changes will be required, i.e. starting from a lang/php80
  • how many issues arise during said porting/creation process
Unfortunately, porting isn't always a straightforward process of just downloading and running "install" to create a package.

If you feel, that it takes too long, you're obviously welcome to lend a hand and create a port patch yourself and submit it - though, admittedly that may not be an option for you. After all, I don't know whether your skills/time/etc. permit it. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share further pointers.

There are still alot of errors when i use php80 for applications which rely on previous versions.
PHP 8.0 have a lot of new things and a lot of deprecated features was removed ... so it's natural... Please for future read question first. I know what difference is between 7.x and 8.0 and 8.1. I just wondering when 8.1 will be available in ports, not what kind of problems U have with 8.0 and legacy software.

That very much depends on the port maintainer. php ports appear to be managed by tz@; glancing at the port statistics, he's reasonably active.

If you feel, that it takes too long, you're obviously welcome to lend a hand and create a port patch yourself and submit it - though, admittedly that may not be an option for you. After all, I don't know whether your skills/time/etc. permit it. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share further pointers.
Thans for reply, could U please, give an URL where i can track PHP port?

Freshports is a good start - unfortunately, it only lets you track ports which already exist. Assuming there will be a lang/php81 in the future, I don't see any way to subscribe to that.

By contrast, here's PHP 8:

If you're feeling fancy, you could write yourself a script that updates your /usr/ports directory and emails you once it detects php 8.1. Something along the lines of this (careful, this is untested):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/ports
git pull
if [ -e /usr/ports/lang/php81 ]; then
    mail myself@company.com << EOF
PHP 8.1 is available now!
EOF
fi

Freshports is a good start - unfortunately, it only lets you track ports which already exist.
,,, an URL where i can track PHP port?
You could subscribe to Freshports RSS feed. The RSS feed can be limited to show only new ports (PHP 8.1 port would be a new port, lang/php81 for example). For details see "flavor=new" in

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/ports
git pull
if [ -e /usr/ports/lang/php81 ]; then
    mail myself@company.com << EOF
PHP 8.1 is available now!
EOF
fi

maybe simplier:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
portsnap --interactive fetch update && [[ -e /usr/ports/lang/php81 ]] && ( echo "PHP 8.1 is available" | mail user@domain )

Last edited:
PHP 8.1.1 arrived in the ports tree :)

Note: devel/php-composer and textproc/php81-xmlreader are buggy here, I've already wrote a bugreport…

Can you post the link for the bug report?
No, because I wrote an email to the maintainer. But bug 260774 and its attachment / patch 230515 may solve my problems (won't start the compiler today again - was a long day).

Edit: The patch works.

I would use PHP 8.1 in a production environment, but as there's only 7.4 available…

But I never had only a production environment - every live system has its development environment, and there I want to read warnings, deprecation notices etc.; So of course I want to install the newest PHP version on my local machines. Always. Just to be prepared for future server updates. Reading changelogs is of course mandatory (PHP offers great documents for upgrading your code).

I never had any problem to get my web-apps / websites and scripts up to the newest PHP version while running the same code on the live system with older PHP versions for many, many years now, and it never costs me much time to update my code (the only big one was the change from the old MySQL extension to the actual MySQLi - must been around 2015; creepy stuff like "register_globals" I've never used - even in times other did (but I had to deal with such code)). Already fixed a really huge project to be 8.1 ready ;)

But if you're using third party PHP code: In this case I would check the informations provided by the developers - they should know if PHP 8.1 is usable or not.

Back