PHP 5.3.2 (was: php 5.3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be better off emailing the maintainer of the port, however the 5.2.9 -> 5.2.10 change was released in about 5-6??? days. However I could speculate that it could take longer due to it being a major upgrade.

MissileSilo said:
OK I sent him an e-mail. I can't wait to use PHP 5.3.0! :e

Late Static Binding FTW! :beergrin

There's no time like learning how to help upgrade a port :stud

I tried doing it, but didn't get anywhere past:
Code:
===> Setting user-specified options for php5-5.3.0 and dependencies
===>  Patching for php5-5.3.0
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for php5-5.3.0
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to TSRM/threads.m4.rej
=> Patch patch-TSRM_threads.m4 failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php5.3.0.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php5.3.0.

Basically there is no suhosin patch for 5.3, and if I compile without that, I run into that ^.

So.. that in mind, any news on if this is going to be ported soon?

Made a little progress.. moved files/ to patches/ so they wouldn't be used... which is probably very bad.. So.. not patches, and no suhosin patch because it's not released yet... But nonetheless, php 5.3 is compiling.. if it works, i'll tar up the port directory or something.. I wouldn't call it stable or anything but I just felt like messing around to see if I could hack up a php 5.3 port.

Anyway it's still compiling, lets see what happens.

YES! It appears to have worked. I'll post this here, but it's really not official or anything (I'm a complete freebsd newbie, just tried this for fun)... However I have tested it across two installs and it worked both times..

BIG NOTE: This is not official. I just did this for the sake of doing it (and am new to BSD so it's probably bad)

grab http://hexinary.net/dev/freebsd/ports/php5.3.0.tar.gz.
Untar it, and it will give you a php5.3.0 directory. Move this to /usr/ports/lang. (I'm not sure if location matters but.. this is where I put it)..
Then cd into it and compile as normal.. HOWEVER.. There is no suhosin patch for it, so make sure to not use that option.

After a bit it should work, I'm able to `php -v` and it says 5.3.0. I haven't tried this with a web server yet, but I assume it works.

Sorry for posting 4 times in a row (a mod can merge these if he/she so chooses)... However I want to note that php5-extensions installs php5.2.10 (probably as a dep of something else it's installing, because I can't find it in the Makefile anywhere).

So.. yeah I'll probably just wait for the official maintainer to release the port. Oh well :(

pear don't want build with this port... any fixes?

Code:
Bootstrapping Installer……………….
Bootstrapping PEAR.php…………(local)
Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /tmp/go-pear/PEAR.php on line 563

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /tmp/go-pear/PEAR.php on line 566
ok
Bootstrapping Archive/Tar.php…………
Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/var/tmp/ports/usr/ports/devel/pear/work/pear-1.8.1/go-pear on line 673
(local) ok
Bootstrapping Console/Getopt.php…………
Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/var/tmp/ports/usr/ports/devel/pear/work/pear-1.8.1/go-pear on line 673
(local) ok

Extracting installer………………
Signal 11

I honestly don't know :( Like I said I just did that to see if I could. :p. You might be better off waiting for the official port.

Sorry :(

I wrote to the php5 port maintainer, he said that he'll probably be upgrading the port in late August. That's the latest.

Well, I can't wait that long. What I did was I downloaded the source code for PHP 5.3.0 and I compiled it manually.

Here is my configure command:

Code:
'./configure' '--with-layout=GNU' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/etc/php' '--disable-all' '--enable-libxml' '--with-libxml-
dir=/usr/local' '--enable-reflection' '--program-prefix=' '--enable-fastcgi' '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/sbin/apxs' '--with-regex=php' '--with-
zend-vm=CALL' '--prefix=/usr/local' '--mandir=/usr/local/man' '--infodir=/usr/local/info/' '--enable-pdo=shared'

Then to compile and install:
Code:
make && make install

Now, I was using php5-extensions but since that is only for version 5.2.10, you have to compile those manually too. Simply cd to the ext directory of the PHP source code, and go into each one of the extensions you want to compile and type:

Code:
phpize
./configure
make && make install

PHP-5.3.0 is not a trivial update. Existing applications will require modification in order not to break when used with it.

I am certain that Alex is aware of this and is exercising caution in doing any update which could have far-reaching consequences for users.

I know from experience, with the ports I maintain, that some users always want the latest version but often overlook the quality status or incompatibilities introduced of these newer versions. As port maintainers we often have to consider the big picture.

Also, ports tree is in feature freeze, so major upgrades are out of the question. Unless 8.0 release is further delayed I wouldn't expect 5.3.0 until early october.

Mel_Flynn said:
Also, ports tree is in feature freeze, so major upgrades are out of the question. Unless 8.0 release is further delayed I wouldn't expect 5.3.0 until early october.

I didn't see anything on the mailing list about the freeze - when did that happen?

Now that does it!
He "freezes", he doesn't reply, nor notify...

I came to the point where I really need this new PHP, as I code in it.

So, I've built latest php-5.3.1RC1 with almost all you can imagine.
Just no xmlrpc and PostgreSQL.

MySQL is set to utilize newest mysqlnd! :stud

So after setting config, making it and finally installing it.
I've compressed it and you can download it here:
StarForce.biz
Speed is very high, as it is optical fibers with 5Mbit of upload ;)

It is ment to be in /root
So after decompression, it should be /root/latestPHP

Then check it out with:
Code:
# /root/latestPHP/bin/php -v
# /root/latestPHP/bin/php-cgi -v
You link it to apache then.

And finally with:
Code:
# /root/latestPHP/bin/php -i

!!WARNING!!
You are using something that has been built against MINE ports, which were updated today and this php is LINKED against MINE ports binares.
SO if you do not have VERY SIMILAR port/app layout it might NOT work!

In that case the ONLY way is to built it by yourself.

PS: FreeBSD 7.2 with latest patches ;)
PPS: I've messed up: --with-config-file-path==/usr/local/etc
and it was supposed to be: --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/etc

Last time I saw him comment on the lists he alluded to waiting until there is a stable Suhosin patch for 5.3 until he upgrades the port.

I'm curious to know what the rush is... what major new features does 5.3 have that you're all depending on?

aragon said:
Last time I saw him comment on the lists he alluded to waiting until there is a stable Suhosin patch for 5.3 until he upgrades the port.

I'm curious to know what the rush is... what major new features does 5.3 have that you're all depending on?

I want to use 5.3's Late Static Binding feature ASAP so I can get rid of a ton of duplicated code. I also want to be able to use anonymous functions, which is a new feature in 5.3. And of course with 5.3 I will be able to namespace all my code.

Since there is no port yet, for testing purposes I compiled it from source on my virtual FreeBSD machine, and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back