PHP 5.3.2 (was: php 5.3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gcooper@ said:
The problem is that the ports tree is quite large and thus the number of packages that need to be built for each release is extremely large.

Contributing hardware and colo resources is what's needed to decrease the package building time; if that isn't done, then the ports freezes will continue to take eons to complete.
So how can we help? I've already offered a Jail at an AMD64 for the pointy-hat build-farm, but i didn't get a reply till now. If it's possible to help by letting a jail build packages contact me.

Greetings from Germany,
Thorny

gcooper@ said:
The problem is that the ports tree is quite large and thus the number of packages that need to be built for each release is extremely large.

Contributing hardware and colo resources is what's needed to decrease the package building time; if that isn't done, then the ports freezes will continue to take eons to complete.

Ok I will contact you on this. I am willing to contribute resources to help relieve the problem.

oh dear, so 5.2 removed before its EOL'd. I dont know whats going on with freebsd these days, maintainer didnt even respond to me about it either.

The only reason there is two 5.X lines today is because of the removal of the 4.X line, and the 5.2.X is a significant change for applications in both 4.X and 5.0/5.1. So it has been given a extended life due to this(as for example FreeBSD-7.1 will live longer than 7.2). I currently don't know how long there will be two 5.X versions, but my guess is that soon there will be some information on the removal of the two 5.X versions. Probably in connection with the release of 5.4.2, or if 6.0 is released.

Alex (the maintainer) stated on freebsd-ports@ that the devs of PHP told him that support for 5.2 will be dropped soon, so there won't be a port for PHP 5.2.

I already know thats his reasoning from earlier in the thread, but the fact is he has jumped the gun. Support is not dropped now.

This was a move for developers and hobbyists. We even still have a php4 port even tho that is EOL, so php4 lives but 5.2 doesnt o_O.

Someone running portupgrade eg. going from 5.2.12 to 5.3.2 as if its a minor upgrade (when it isnt) will be in for a shock.

chrcol said:
Someone running portupgrade eg. going from 5.2.12 to 5.3.2 as if its a minor upgrade (when it isnt) will be in for a shock.
I agree. PHP 5.3 was in fact a pre-release of PHP6 without unicode support. If it were called PHP6 and not PHP5.3, would that have changed Alex's mind ...? PHP5.3 is definitely worth a separate port!! See http://nl.php.net/migration53 for the impact of upgrading.

Hi,

I have successfully applied the patch at alexdupre.com, but

# cd /usr/port/lang/php5 && make

still fetches php-5.2.11, not 5.3.

Am I missing something or should I wait until april as fadolf mentioned that it will be officially released in april?

drm said:
I agree. PHP 5.3 was in fact a pre-release of PHP6 without unicode support. If it were called PHP6 and not PHP5.3, would that have changed Alex's mind ...? PHP5.3 is definitely worth a separate port!! See http://nl.php.net/migration53 for the impact of upgrading.

anyone who use's php extensively and especially commercially realises this.

this is why I made the hobbyist comments.

thanks for backing me up.

dennylin93 said:
I just skimmed through the upgrade notes, and it seems that the changes shouldn't affect too many people. Most of them are just new features.

This page lists all the incompatible changes: Backward Incompatible Changes.

those will break approxametly 20-30% of current commercial php apps. On a couple of servers where we tested php 5.3 with mainly custom written code we had dozens of complaints within a couple of days, clearly 5.3 is not a fit in upgrade and the php dev's have been naughty releasing a beta version of php6 calling it 5.3.

If it comes down to the ports tree only supporting two versions of PHP, I'd rather see v5.3 and v5.2 than v5.3 and v4. Death to php4 already, sheesh!

Can any of you use PHP5.3.x on FreeBSD?

Hello,

As I mentioned in my last post, I still cannot use PHP5.3.x, though I've applied the patch accordingly.

It seems you 're using PHP5.3.x.

If you've successfully managed to install&use PHP5.3.x on FreeBSD, I would be glad to have the instructions & links about it.

Just in case you wonder why I need to PHP 5.3.x, let me tell you that a new PHP Framework called "Ajax-IM" works only on PHP5.3+ and I want to try and use that FW on my FreeBSD.

Thanks.

Guys!

php4, has been left in a ports tree, as it requires virtually no maintenance whatsoever...
Guess why! ;)
:p

Yeah, that's correct.

It's been almost one month since I've given up trying to upgrade my PHP 5.2.12 and meanwhile I happened to forget which app required PHP 5.3.x

It might be Magento eCommerce App, which required PHP's GD and mcrypt extensions and as I tried to integrate those extensions, I remember stumbling upon a message saying that I had to have at least PHP5.3; I don't remember exactly which application it was, but there was at least one :)

Very happy to see this has been upgraded, I hope fellow users won't run in too much trouble, but congrats to the maintainer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back