Photo viewer?

FreeBSD does not track it and so it is almost impossible to know for sure, but I guess it is graphics/feh, since most people using FreeBSD desktop seem to use WMs instead of full feature DEs.

If one uses ImageMagick for any kind of image manipulation, it also has the display command. For quick viewing though, I prefer feh.

I use graphic/feh, a nice and fast working viewer program, with several modes to help viewing images.

For a quick overview I use the xfe file manager with the panel set to [x] Thumbnails and (x) Big icons. Works well!

Last edited:
I use graphics/gimp as my default image viewer (rarely a day goes by I don't use that program for something), and graphics/feh to set my desktop BG and as a slideshow viewer.

mtpaint for me. I do little in the way of image editing so mostly use it to screen capture and resize (scale) images. It can do very clever things, but I find those beyond me - but for what I do use it for its great. Very quick.

I use graphics/feh with this script run from Thunar for image viewer:

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

file=$(basename -- "$1")
dir=$(dirname -- "$1")
arr=()
shift

cd -- "$dir"

for i in *; do
    [[ -f $i ]] || continue
    arr+=("$i")
    [[ $i == $file ]] && c=$((${#arr[@]} - 1))
done

exec feh  -d --draw-filename --scale-down --draw-tinted -B black -g 800x600 "$@" -- "${arr[@]:c}" "${arr[@]:0:c}"

and for set the wallpaper Esetroot with this script(again from Thunar)

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
im=`date | awk '{print $2 "-" $3 "-" $4 ".jpg"}'`
cp /media/data/Sist/wall/wall.jpg /media/data/Sist/wall/$im
cp $1 /home/juan/Sist/wall/wall.jpg
Esetroot -s /home/juan/Sist/wall/wall.jpg

i put all my wallpapers in ~/Sist/wall , and in .xinitrc load the image at startup(or in x11-wm/fvwm2 startup) with Esetroot -s ~/Sist/walls/wall.jpg

I use xv (link) for almost 30 years (since 1990, I think). It's under graphics/xv in FreeBSD's ports collection. The GUI is ugly (and I mean really ugly), but it gets my job done, has all the features I need, and I'm also much more efficient with it than with any other program I've tried, which is probably due to the fact that I'm used to it for several decades.

I'm just impressed that we have software that is 30 years old and still works :). Take that <insert big, ugly commercial OS name here>!

I'm just impressed that we have software that is 30 years old and still works :). Take that <insert big, ugly commercial OS name here>!
The following is from my large collection of sayings from e-mail signatures (I don't know the author, unfortunately):

‘Instead of asking why a piece of software is using “1990s technology”,
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.’

I like it! Not to get too off topic but I find myself using simpler, (possibly older) tools on FreeBSD because frankly they just work and that's what I really need software to do: work. Don't need bells and whistles, transparency, etc, to get the job done.

For quick views I'm using graphics/geeqie as well, it's small, simple and to the point.

But when I want something more, like working with larger collections of pictures, then I also rely on graphics/gwenview. I used to run this with KDE but it turns out that you can also run it on other X11 environments as well (keep in mind that some dependencies can be a little heavy to build). What I especially like is that it makes it really easy to switch between viewing photos (it'll display a preview bar at the bottom) or browsing through directories. You can also add meta data to pictures (like a rating, tags and a short description) which can make it even easier to sort through larger collections.

I like graphics/mirage, pretty good image viewer,
I like its thumbnail pane, it shows small preview of images in current dir.
b6F8YBJ.gif

Back