PF PF TCP S/SA default flag filter and TCP 3-way handshake

If this sequence of packet headers is valid: SYN, SYN+ACK, ACK ( the 3-way handshake), then why is the default flag filter S/SA?

I am having some difficulty in determining why NATed connections through a newly setup PF based router/firewall to a particular host drop. The one thing that stands out in the Wireshark trace is that immediately, or very shortly, before the connection lost is noticed by the user we see this sort of packet arrive from that host:

Code:
32090    11:25:12.360147379    999.999.28.164    192.168.8.92    TCP    66    2148 → 51682 [SYN, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460 SACK_PERM=1 WS=128

We have changed the PF filter rules for that host to include: modulate state flags S/S, but this has not stopped the connection failures. It did reduce the incidence a great deal however.

I am trying to understand why these packets are sent to begin with. The remote host is not supposed to be establishing connections with us, we are supposed to be connecting to them. I am not aware of any reason why the remote host would find it necessary to set up a new connection. In any case, the target is a NATed internal IP which indicate the connection must already exist.

If this sequence of packet headers is valid: SYN, SYN+ACK, ACK ( the 3-way handshake), then why is the default flag filter S/SA?
Because SYN+ECE or SYN+URG are valid too, while SYN+ACK is not. The mask makes sure the rule only looks at the SYN and ACK bits. Because only a SYN starts the connection (and thus needs to store the state), SYN+ACK is the response that's allowed by the state.

The remote host is not supposed to be establishing connections with us
A SYN+ACK is not the start of a connection, it's the response to a connection request (SYN) on an open port. A closed port would respond with RST.

Note that states have a time-out. I often encounter it with (idle) SSH connections. If there's no traffic going back and forth the state will time-out after a while, effectively dropping the connection. With SSH this is easily prevented by enabling a keep-alive. This sends a no-op packet back and forth at regular intervals, keeping the state on the firewall happy.

Back