PF doesn't load rules on boot anymore

I just remembered something that caught me when I first set up my DSL line. The ppp.linkup file has the first line as the label, matching what is in ppp.conf for your connection. The lines within that block need to have at least one space in front of them! The file I posted above doesn't have them in; either the code tag doesn't support leading spaces or I removed them when I posted the file. The latter is more likely, due to the fact that my emulator I admin my BSD box with doesn't add CRs at the end of each line and instead spits out one continuous line when I copy from it, spaces and all. (I always have to remove the spaces from the output I post and add line breaks because of this.)

Thankyou so much,
I can now boot the machine and check with grc.com and my rules appear to be loading.
pfctl -sr seems to look correct also.

Other functions on the server appear to be unharmed also (well a really quick check anyway).

Do I require the name server part of /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup?
I guess it won't hurt to leave it anyway.

I don't have a corresponding opposite to ppp.linkup. Do I require one if I dont plan on halting the connection manually?

Thanks heaps for the help.

Regards,
Michael.

hiatek said:
Thankyou so much,
I can now boot the machine and check with grc.com and my rules appear to be loading.
pfctl -sr seems to look correct also.

Great!

hiatek said:
Do I require the name server part of /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup?
I guess it won't hurt to leave it anyway.

Do you have a name assigned to your box that's resolvable from the internet or do you use your local box as a resolver? If either is true, you should leave it. If neither is true, you really shouldn't need it - try disabling it and test.

hiatek said:
I don't have a corresponding opposite to ppp.linkup. Do I require one if I dont plan on halting the connection manually?

Only if you want to load different firewall rules or execute other commands when your connection terminates. You can write out to a log file, spit a message out to the screen, or anything that you can do from a prompt really using the [cmd=]shell[/cmd] command in the ppp.linkdown file. I have the ppp.linkdown file on my system, but it's empty.

Back