Solved pf - anchor limit

I was curious about migrating my main ruleset entirely over to anchors, perhaps it is a bad idea, but was thinking that I could make everything dynamic or scheduled. When I had used Linux, I used iptables and that natively supported time of day. I want to achieve the same sort of thing, ideally, I won't need to restart pf and can update the anchors whenever I like.

With that, it seems like I might be hitting some limit on the number of anchors I can declare, but it is strange because it is with one particular anchor that even with no rules, pf fails to start.

Enabling pfpfctl: DIOCADDRULENV: Device busy
/etc/rc.d/pf: WARNING: Unable to load rules.pf.
Enabling pfpfctl: DIOCXCOMMIT: Invalid argument

Enabling pfpfctl: DIOCXCOMMIT: Invalid argument

The first error message is when the rules in the anchor were all commented out. The last 2 were with the rules in the anchor entirely removed. I wanted to see if it was reproducible or if it was hitting different errors each time. It appears to be 100% reproducible.

1. is there a limit on the number of anchors?
2. Some of my other anchors that work have much longer anchor names, so I don't think there is an issue with the anchor name. It has numbers, an underscore, and alpha characters just like all of the other anchors that work just fine.

I found the issue - I had 2 anchors somehow with the same name and my script that generated the rules.pf had 2 anchors with the same name. Problem solved :).

Back