ZFS Permissions (Old Archived Files)

I shaved family files on a cd and am now not able to retrieve any of the archive files. Here is the error message: you don't have the right permissions to extract archives in the folder. Each file ends with a .nco syntax. I have tried the chmod go-w,a+x /dev/cd0 with not success. Have never run into this before. It's been so long ago maybe the cd was saved as a backup using Microsoft, but cannot remember; if so, I'll enfringe on a neighbor who uses Microsoft. Thanks for any thoughts.

Each file ends with a .nco syntax.
One page I found suggests the .nco files were created using Nero BackItUp and are normally regular ZIP archives if the backup wasn't encrypted with a password. If that's the case, unzip(1) might/should be able to handle it. If it cannot, perhaps try archivers/p7zip.

you don't have the right permissions to extract archives in the folder
You can't extract anything to the directory where you mounted the CD; it is effectively a read-only filesystem. For example, you might use unzip /media/file1.nco -d $HOME/file1 from the command line, or you can copy the .nco files to a directory in your HOME and extract them there.

One page I found suggests the .nco files were created using Nero BackItUp and are normally regular ZIP archives if the backup wasn't encrypted with a password. If that's the case, unzip(1) might/should be able to handle it. If it cannot, perhaps try archivers/p7zip.

You can't extract anything to the directory where you mounted the CD; it is effectively a read-only filesystem. For example, you might use unzip /media/file1.nco -d $HOME/file1 from the command line, or you can copy the .nco files to a directory in your HOME and extract them there.

You are right! It was a Nero Back up. Thanks for reminding me!! I'll copy the cd to a folder in my home directory and try your suggestions. Thanks, I'll post results as soon as I carve out the time to computer land. Have a great day!

# unzip /usr/home/randy/Nero and received this message: Unrecognized archive format. So I thinking I'm stuck to locate a WindBlows Computer and a copy of a Nero.

You are right! It was a Nero Back up. Thanks for reminding me!! I'll copy the cd to a folder in my home directory and try your suggestions. Thanks, I'll post results as soon as I carve out the time to computer land. Have a great day!

# unzip /usr/home/randy/Nero and received this message: Unrecognized archive format. So I thinking I'm stuck to locate a WindBlows Computer and a copy of a Nero.

Somewhat random but it might also be worth a try to throw the file at bsdtar. It's surprisingly versatile for something one would suspect to handle nothing but tar and a couple compression algorithms maybe.

Back