Perl 5.26 and Synth

Hello-

I've been using Synth for three months now (after using portmaster forever) and I'm trying to rebuild ports that depend on Perl5 using synth. But am not getting anywhere. Clearly I do not understand the pkg system. After using synth to upgrade to perl5.26, I see that perl5.24 has been deinstalled. However, I am getting errors when running perl commands with foswiki:

Code:
Can't locate tools//../bin/setlib.cfg in Inc (Inc] contains: bin /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.26 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.26/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.26) at tools/mailnotify line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tools/mailnotify line 37.

I also find that foswiki is unusable at the moment. I suspect that foswiki needs to be rebuilt with perl5.26 but am not sure how to accomplish this!

This is what I've tried to do:

updated /etc/make.conf and [/file]/usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf[/file] with:
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= perl5.26
Then:
Code:
# pkg set -o lang/perl5.24:lang/perl5.26
# synth upgrade-system
and it tells me there's nothing to build/rebuild.

When I used portmaster, I normally followed the portmaster version of updating found in /usr/ports/UPDATING and it worked 97% of the time.

I also tried:
# synth rebuild-repository

but that also didn't appear to rebuild the dependencies.

Hm? How do I rebuild with new dependencies using synth and/or pkg not only for foswiki but for all other ports that depend on perl5? Copy the output of pkg version to a file, deinstall all packages and reinstall using the same file?

~Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm using portupgrade and i upgraded successful with it following entry 20161103 in /usr/ports/UPDATING

First, add to /etc/make.conf:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= perl5=5.26

portupgrade -o lang/perl5.26 -f lang/perl5.24
portupgrade -f `pkg shlib -qR libperl.so.5.24`

I was under the impression that once you started using synth on a local system, you needed to use either the synth or the pkg commands. Am I incorrect?

This probably won't help much but....

The problem you're facing is that every port you installed which got somehow compiled against the Perl library (/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.24/mach/CORE/libperl.so.5.24p/) need to be rebuild again. And I'm not too sure that your pkg set command was a smart one (it depends on Synth and I'm not using that so I don't know). But solely basing myself on Portmaster: changing this yourself is generally speaking a bad idea.

See: what you did was merely change the ports origin. PKG would then proceed to report that there is no new version. And I could imagine (note: I am not sure) that Synth picks up on that and thus doesn't recognize the new version as well.

And this still leaves you with the main problem: all ports which use the Perl library need to be rebuild one way or the other in order for them to use the new version.

I tried to skim over the Synth manualpage (from the link above) but... Yah, not working for me.

(edit)

I was under the impression that once you started using synth on a local system, you needed to use either the synth or the pkg commands. Am I incorrect?
No, you should only use Synth but it depends on what you wanted to use the pkg command for.

As a general rule: do not mix ports and binary packages. So: do not install software using both Synth and pkg install because that will lead to problems.

But, as mentioned above, I also have some doubts with changing a ports origin manually. However... that is based on my experience with the ports system in general and Portmaster. It is possible that Synth accounts for this but I honestly don't know (still a Portmaster user myself).

And I'm not too sure that your pkg set command was a smart one (it depends on Synth and I'm not using that so I don't know).

Exactly... Synth shouldn't need that command. For me it "just worked". Isn't the main purpose of Synth and Poudriere to build packages in a clean environment to avoid hacks like these?

Isn't the main purpose of Synth and Poudriere to build packages in a clean environment to avoid hacks like these?
I'm not too familiar with Synth but with Poudriere the change was picked up automatically. After the build was finished a pkg upgrade on one of my hosts automatically updated Perl and everything that depends on it.

Maybe marino has some tips. He's still around and drops by every now and then.

I started using synth back in December to get around the issue of flavors with php. Has portmaster become flavorized yet to the point where it is safe/sane to use it?

I use portsnap to download weekly and rebuild ports in need of updating. I do not use binary packages at all.

I pulled out the portmaster tool and rebuilt perl5 and all programs that depend on it.

# portmaster -o lang/perl5.26 lang/perl5.24
# portmaster -f `pkg shlib -qR libperl.so.5.26`

I found that not all ports depending on perl5 were rebuilt. Especially foswiki. I issued this:

# Portmaster -r perl5

I saw that foswiki was rebuilt. However I had to take additional steps using foswiki's scripts to fix file permissions and to run rewriteshebang.pl to modify perl5 associations.

foswiki now works. Unfortunately I am still getting the same error message mentioned in my original post. I think I will need to investigate the MailNotify feature some more. It appears the format used in /etc/crontab needs to be changed as running mailnotify without parameters at the command line works.

Back