Pentium I 233MHz, RAM 128MB, 10G HDD

SeanC said:
With only 10GB of HD, you will run out of space fast when using portupgrade. At the very least arkar needs more space to play.

hitest said:
I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 on a Plll 667 with 256 MB RAM, 10 GB HD. My disk space is manageable if I install packages and stay away from the ports collection.

I used a 10GB disk in my workstation until a year ago.

10GB is plenty of space even if you use ports/buildworld,
Of course you can't compile openoffice.org, JDK, KDE, ect. but why would you want to do that anyway?

fender0107401 said:
CPU and ram is so weak, how to recompile the kernel and the userland?

With patience.

Carpetsmoker said:

Of course you can't compile openoffice.org, JDK, KDE, ect. but why would you want to do that anyway?

I used pkg_add to install KDE and xorg, that worked very well on my older system running FreeBSD 7.0. I use the ports collection for smaller applications. I'm looking forward to 7.1, I see it is up to RC2!:e

Carpetsmoker said:

Completely agree. I have 6GB HDD on my laptop ThinkPAD E390 and
only 1.5Gb are used by Operating System. I honestly think that anything more than 4.5Gb is still usable for the workstations.
I also believe that anything more than 1Gb is very usable for appliances.
On the another hand I recently start playing with DVD authoring.
I could tell you that I saw my 160 Gb HDD disappearing in two weeks.

Old computers like that make good firewalls. I have 7.0 running on a firewall computer with a 1.75G hard drive and it's only 75% full. It has Squid and a bunch of other things as well. The big thing is to keep the ports tree and the obj dir on another machine.

Hi,

I'm running Freebsd 7.1 on an old Dell P1 233MHz, 128MB RAM and 500GB HD. I use it as home server, NAT / Samba / nfs / mldonkey and torrent.
uptime
## 3:29PM up 39 days, 3:29, 1 user, load averages: 1.83, 1.69, 1.56

I initially have installed FreeBSD 6.3 which I upgraded to 6.4 :
make buildworld --> 22h
make buildkernel --> 7h

and later migrated to migrated to 7.1.

-luca

Just as another datum: I had an old DEC pentium 1 @ something like 100mHz with 64M of RAM and what I guess was a 1.5G HDD (all sadly passed on) that did FreeBSD 6.x okay, except for the flaky IDE controller*. Put OpenBSD on it and it ran like a champ.

* the warning at probe was something like: "This controller is known to cause data loss" or some sillyness. It was true, though.

P2 233 MHz with 192 MB RAM and a 20 GB HDD - running quite fine. Even X11 with Fvwm would run and for compiling - another more powerful machine and building everything there, copy it then over.

I ran 5.4-RELEASE on Olivetti Modula 200 - that's 200MHz Pentium MMX, with 64 MB of EDORAM and 6.4GB Quantum Fireball CX. It ran pretty fine, even X11 with FVWM.

It served as firewall/router later on, i did recompile a kernel on it (for NAT) and i remember it took a while but not that much.

This is the oldest box I've used FreeBSD on:

I have an old P2-300 server that work was going to throw away running my home gateway server using FreeBSD 7.1. (It likes it much better than the NT4 that was on it at work...) I believe it has 256 meg of RAM (all that the mobo can handle) and a 9 gig SCSI drive in it as the primary drive. I threw in a PCI IDE controller and 2, 250 gig hard drives that are RAIDed and provide a perfect place to store documents and digital pictures via a Samba share. :) I've also got apache running so that I can develop CGI scripts at home.

I concur with the above posts - compiling anything takes FOREVER! It works fine though and I have a killer server tower case which I can lock the door on and is nice & quiet. :)

Back