peculiar password problem

All,

I've got a couple of FreeBSD 8.3 boxes and have a wierd problem where changing my password does not appear to work.

I can run the command, enter the new password, it doesn't complain, yet when I attempt to log in again via SSH, my old password is the only way to get in.

However, if I check the contents of /etc/master.passwd the line for my user account has been updated with a new hash.

One of the machines in question is vanilla BIND DNS server, and up to date via freebsd-update. The other one is a mail relay and runs sendmail only.

The machine is fairly well firewalled off from the internet and is currently up to date with security hotfixes: only incoming port 53 tcp/udp is allowed through the ACL in front of it (no SSH allowed into our network) - so I'm reasonably confident it isn't likely to have been hacked.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot further? I can't see any diagnostic info available from the passwd command (no verbose option) and the hash does seem to update...

Cheers, will try that.

And just to confirm in case anyone is thinking it - its not an SSH keyphrase ;)

Do you perhaps use LDAP? The passwd(1) command would only change the local account, not the LDAP account.

Which begs the question, how did you change your password?

I ran the passwd command.

Never had an issue with this before, and its pretty standard unix, so unless something has changed.... ?

throAU said:
I ran the passwd command.

Never had an issue with this before, and its pretty standard unix, so unless something has changed.... ?

I advised you to run it because I got this problem twice - one case was after unsuccessful installation of some port(don't remember which one) and the second one - it was failing HDD.

Back