[PCBSD] Enlightenment on FreeBSD 9.0-RC3

Hello,

I just made

Code:
portsnap fetch extract

and get a bunch of ports. However, in /usr/ports/x11 there is no Enlightenment although it should be there judging by what I read on the forum. I'm using PCBSD which is in fact FreeBSD 9.0-RC3. Is is possible that Enlightenment is not a part of 9.0-RC3 ports?

I think you may end up wishing you couldn't find it. Was a broken pile last time I tried it also, and I think I read even more is broken nowdays.

Just tried to instal it, make went fine, tried to switch to it and now I'm installing the system from scratch because file system broke down completely. I believe I did something wrong. I'm trying to figure out which desktop manager to use.

Shot me if I know. I tried to make Enlight at the boot, then LXDE froze, I reboot, he says - no. A whole bunch of errors appeared, among them broken filesystem, and my comp wake up alive but barely. Now I installed pcbsd (FreeBSD + KDE) and now my wireless is again not working and I'll spend a week again tryin' to fix it. So, at the moment I'm enjoying Win7 and don't accept any argument against MS :) It's frustrating that you can't make any single wrong step. I've been installing system a few times and it's a bit frustrating. I haven't had such problem back in the QNX and DOS days decades ago.

Always keep a copy of your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, etc., somewhere. Makes it easier when you have to do a reinstall.

@fnucc,

I haven't used PC-BSD before but I think that if you really want to try a different window manager from ports then you should install FreeBSD.
The handbook will give you good hints on starting up X

I started with FreeBSD, gkontos, and decided to use pcbsd to get a working system quickly. First I spend days on one usb wireless adapter, then an old pci wireless card started to work like a charm, and then I got in this Enlight thing. Now I ca't install anything except KDE and wireless doesn't work. Go figure.

Very interesting situation: fresh install + LXDE = working wireless. Go figure... So, in my case LXDE rules :) I just have to make it a bit more good-looking.

Back