• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

pc freezes when I switch to x

doughy

I boot my system and it works fine. It goes to kdm as usual but after I switch back to another console and try to go back to X it freezes. Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening?

doughy

I haven't tried with vt. I switched to sc so I could have better screen resolutions that weren't offered with vt. I'll try vt right now and see what it does.

doughy

I switched back to vt and I can switch between consoles and keep kde running but the consoles aren't working right. I tried some different settings in rc.conf that I had added to make better resolutions work and still have the same issue.

doughy

kld_list="NVidia-modeset"

with this setting x will run but the consoles have nothing but a lot of abstract colors on the screen
w/o it it won't run x but the consoles are fine

doughy

I kept trying to figure out what's causing it and I think it's the resolution I'm using. I removed the line in rc.conf specifying the mode of the resolution I want and it runs fine. even if I start the resolution after booting it will prevent me from switching between consoles and kde

doughy

I've been playing with the higher resolutions and have determined that that is the problem. When I run a higher resolution I can't switch between kde and consoles. Is there a way I can work around this?

thebardian

I've been playing with the higher resolutions and have determined that that is the problem. When I run a higher resolution I can't switch between kde and consoles. Is there a way I can work around this?
I have found the intel video driver buggy sometimes for console switching, I don't know the nvidia sittuation though. I wonder, maybe it's more common than I thought, for buggy video drivers to bug your console? For my part, I leave the console resolution settings alone, because I'm always in X anyways. Sorry this wasn't any help. Good luck.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

For my part, I leave the console resolution settings alone, because I'm always in X anyways.
Same here, I really don't see the point of changing the console resolution if you're going to boot straight to X.