PC-BSD or Ghost BSD?

I know this is an old(ish) thread, but (I think) the info is out of date and would be useful to get it up to date.

FreeBSD 10.0 will install easily now because of all the improvements that have been made. PC-BSD 10 is also using the new pkgng package manager as default, so they say, but it still has PBI. PBI is the reason that I personally did not use PC-BSD, as to me, it added bloat. However, in its favour, it was aimed at novice installers/users. I believe either will be installable by a newbie and give a satisfying experience of FreeBSD. I have installed both myself this week, I'm coming from Linux, but am confident anyone can now create their own installation without difficulty. Hope that helps a newbie to try out FreeBSD. :)

Good news is that they at PC-BSD found that supporting both PBI and PKGNG is not easy and a waste of time/efforts. They are moving to have PBI as a thin wrapper around PKGNG (I think). If that's true then PC-BSD would be a killer - a really true FreeBSD preconfigured as general desktop without the bloat of PBIs.

Re:

throAU said:
ericturgeon said:
@throAU FreeBSD is great gaming platform. You can play a lot a new game on under wine.

No it's not.

When I play games, I want them to work properly (every time!), out of the box, without screwing around.

FreeBSD is great for many things, but gaming is not one of them.

Based on experience with Windows, Mac OSX, BSD, and various Linux distros.... you will NEVER have an OS that every game works on EVERY time, even with Windows or Mac OSX you will have plenty of problems with plenty of games. So i'm 100% sure FreeBSD can't be any worse for gaming than any of the Linux Distros or any other BSD.

Ghost BSD, a system with desktop PC Laptop interesting development. PC-BSD system that requires very heavy desk to install 52 GB hard drive and 64-bit architecture.

GhostBSD 4.0 (32 bit & and 64 bit) will be using the FreeBSD 10.0 pkg2ng software installer, it will be a lighter installation mainly because it does not include the extras that PC-BSD 10 (64 bit only) does.

Back