PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.1 PKGNG package repository

TroN-0074 said:
I was using the PC-BSD repo to keep all my installed applications up to date it was working fine. But they no longer support 32bit and I haven't been able to upgrade.

Does that mean you were using PBIs and/or AppCafe? If so, it seems we both have the same problem. I have a couple of fat, rarely-used applications installed as PBIs (libreoffice, firefox, calibre, gimp) and haven't been able to update them in quite a while.

I was considering installing them from ports, but I thought I'd look into the current state of PC-BSD PBIs first. From what I've read it seems that only x86-64 systems are supported. Also, I read a long time ago that the new pkg (pkgng) was going to support some kind of self-contained installation mode (a la PBIs) but that doesn't seem to have happened. Therefore, it seems you and I have three options:

1. In case you have a 64bit-capable system, you might want to migrate from i386 (32-bit mode) to amd64 (64-bit mode).

2. Uninstall the PBIs and install everything from ports.

3. Continue to use your currently installed, but out-of-date PBIs.

I was just using the repository for PKGNG, I didn’t install anything from their software cafe. I was wondering if there was a repository for FreeBSD since it was quite a while that I installed 9.1 and 9.2 is almost ready to go out.

I haven't done what @wblock@ suggested I was wondering if I can just copy and paste the commands from the link he posted, I can have fresher applications. I know Firefox now is on version 24 and I am running 18, and lot of other applications have newer versions than what I have.

Anyway PC-BSD is no longer supporting 32BIT so that repository is not good any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
TroN-0074 said:
I was just using the repository for PKGNG, I didn’t install anything from their software cafe. ...

I was wondering if I can just copy and paste the commands from the link he posted, I can have fresher applications. ...

Anyway PC-BSD is no longer supporting 32BIT so that repository is not good any more.

I would suggest actually reading the links provided thoroughly and actually understanding them before just copying and pasting. And definitely install ports-mgmt/portmaster as it will make things easy as pie.

I also wouldn't get hung up on having the latest, "greatest" version of everything unless you are looking for a specific new feature or bugfix. IMO you're just as likely to introduce new bugs into your environment as remove them by constantly updating everything.

TroN-0074 said:
I was using the PC-BSD repo to keep all my installed applications up to date it was working fine. But they no longer support 32bit and I haven't been able to upgrade.
I was wondering where x86 repositories were. Why offer a 32-bit capability only to not support it later? I have a Core Duo test system I'm not ready to give up because I like it still.

tzoi516 said:
Why offer a 32-bit capability only to not support it later?
They stopped with the 32 bit version of PC-BSD because they're now using ZFS by default. Running ZFS on 32 bit required too much attention and caused too many problems.

So, unfortunately, we're back to square one: PC-BSD doesn't build 32-bit packages anymore and the FreeBSD packages (all architectures) are months old (including those in the STABLE and 9.2-RELEASE repositories). :\

Back