Solved Panic when building ports with poudriere

Hi, I'm having troubles building ports with poudriere (see attached image).

I was using tmpfs=yes and cache is active . My laptop has 8 cores and 8GB RAM.

The problem happened even reducing parallel jobs to 6 or 3 .

Any suggestions, please?

Attachments

• err-poudrerie-m.jpg
    err-poudrerie-m.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 205
Looks like you have a whole bunch of disk issues. And that's causing the panics. Nothing to do with Poudriere, that's just the trigger. Focus on the bad disks.

Looks like you have a whole bunch of disk issues. And that's causing the panics. Nothing to do with Poudriere, that's just the trigger. Focus on the bad disks.
Thanks. The weird thing is that SMART information indicates nothing to believe the HDD is going to fail.
I'm installing a new drive, anyway and see what happens.

The new HDD is installed. I'm running poudriere with 8 parallel jobs for eleven hours without problems.
I still don't understand why SMART gave me no clue, but data has no price anyway.

The new HDD is installed. I'm running poudriere with 8 parallel jobs for eleven hours without problems.
I still don't understand why SMART gave me no clue, but data has no price anyway.

SMART does not give accurate information about a defect of a disk. It gives estimates (based on counters from inside the disk, which are maintained by the disk itself) about when a disk may be due to fail. (And it allows to run test suites on a disk - but I didn't bother to figure out if these are destructive or not).

So, both cases can happen: SMART not warning but disk failing, and SMART warning but disk running happily for another ten years (if you wanna give that a try).
And timeout issues like Yours may also come from cabling problems, which SMART obviousely cannot detect. Those SATA connectors work only if there is no weight on them. Have a power connector with adapter from old-style and some terminal strip dangling behind, and it will not be fun.

Back