OSSv4 and FreeBSD?

>Then why is there so few soundcards supported?

Because of man power, time, documentation, hardware, money? Furthermore development of a sound system is more than just delivering drivers. First there is a proper infrastructure, then there are the drivers.

Just an example, my Soundblaster Audigy 4 is not supported by OSSv4 but by emu10kx.

So, why doesn't freebsd adopt oss4 infrastructure and then build specific drivers on top of that? It just seems oss4 provides a way for all unix/linux flavors to have the same api, which would possibly result in more cross-platform audio applications.
I by no means know the technicalities involved; I am just wondering.

probably most likely the same reason why Sendmail is in base and not Postfix

but why complain if ossv4 is not in base, if it's in ports

But why can't FreeBSD as mentioned, adapt the structure, and also adapt the drivers do furthere developement on them?

Because our own is much better. Things like resampling or software mixing are implemented much better in FreeBSD implementation of OSS than in OSSv4. Also, OSSv4 needs some abstraction layer on top of the actual operating system kernel APIs, as every operating system does things like locking in a different way. FreeBSD OSS is written to use the kernel interface directly.

Another thing is API. AFAIK there is ongoing work to support OSSv4 API in FreeBSD OSS implementation.

Roberth said:
But why can't FreeBSD as mentioned, adapt the structure, and also adapt the drivers do furthere developement on them?

As trasz@ said and if there is anything useful in it I'm sure some FreeBSD dev will adopt it. Furthermore as far as I know not all of the drivers in OSSv4 are free.

tbyte said:
And what about 5+1, 7+1 ... ALSA ?:)
Alsa will never be ported to any Unix:) This is why

http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?p=5

Solaris port of OSS is really fantastic. I have not checked its license. If
it is CDDL obviously it is not an option but if it is an academic style license
(BSD, MIT) that should be worth of considering as a replacement for FreeBSD version
of oss.

Back