Oracle Solaris is Unix but not easy to use

FreeBSD is simply perfect to deploy a streaming service, so, to my knowledge, the best option I tried is FreeBSD :)

No, priyadarshan, all the pages are white with light gray headers and a darker gray for the Parts section. Copyright 2009.

There is a sticker on the first page inside the cover with the name and address of the person who originally owned it. He must have taken pride in it and took exceptional care of it.

My battery and HDD came today. I have my workspace set up, am getting ready to put it all together now and install Solaris from their .usb boot media.

Edit: It should all go so easily. All my hardware is compatable (RAM works too), "all system resources are healthy", have Internet and already have pf up and running. :) Gkrellm and Gimp, too.

Since I was taught Unix on Solaris, I find it quite a nice system to use.

This really is slick and makes my desktops look almost klunky. The package manager reminds me of KDE 3 or something I used in the past and is simple.

It did not, however, let me make a separate user account during the build process. As jitte, I am root and need to enter my root password, which is really no different than FreeBSD when you get down to it. I have yet to read much of the book or about profile delegation of privileges and going by what I already know. pf is working as it should.

I was hoping I could plug my FAT USB drives in, same ones I use all the time, and Oracle automount them, but not even with the menu mount command. More than one way around that till I figure it out. I took me longer than I care to admit to figure out how to mount a USB stick on FreeBSD. :p

I've already got a working desktop out of it though and will post a screenshot in a day or two.

In case you have issues with sound, you could check a recent thread on oi-discuss mailing list: oi-discuss mailing list

priyadarshan, I got sound out -of-the-box on OpenIndiana and Solaris and have listened to internet radio with Rhythmbox on both. I have a Gateway laptop running OpenIndiana and Thinkpad Solaris.

I probably didn't explain myself well when talking about Solaris only letting me create one user. It said something to the effect of choose a name for a user who will have root privileges. I used su and Solaris gave me the same message about my root password already expired. That's all I've ever used to become root.

As far as I know, OpenIndiana expires root password after the very first use.

Unfortunately, it seems the installer is still strictly bios legacy-mode (ie no UEFI).

I tried to launch the Live DVD, and it forced an HP Z620 worstation, with booting FreeBSD (as UEFI), to Bios-legacy mode, effectively botching the boot disk.

Mind you, I was not installing it. Just the mere running of it changed the boot setup.

Unfortunately, we do not have any non-EUFI machines here, so I will wait to play more with OI when they offer UEFI install.

That's exactly what it did. So now I have a password for my user account and one for my root account, where originally it only let me make the user account password. A strange way to do it IMO but in essence ends up the same as with FreeBSD.

I will say there is a plethora of documentation for Solaris and no shortage of info on the different aspects of using it.

Back