Optional birthday at registration, instead of required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birthday date seems unnecessary, IMHO. I randomly wrote 1/1/1, and hope the age doesn't matter for this forum.

Is there any reason for why I should reconsider that while here, on the FreeBSD forums?

Is it mandatory? It's been so long ago since I signed up. In any case, it's fine if you just fill in bogus information. We don't use the information, your profile settings should have a setting to make it hidden to everyone else too. Only the forum software itself uses it to show your age (if you allow this).

Actually, I think it must be optional to comply with european GDPR laws: There's no technical or legal need for it and there's no asking for consent either.

In practice, I always just give bogus crap to websites asking me for stuff I don't want to share ;)

The best part is when you use 1/1/1900 as the birthdate and Facebook wishes you Happy 123rd Birthday and all your "friends" chime in.

Is it mandatory?
Don't know, I didn't try what happens when a field is left empty, but the text near each field (Username, Email, Password, Date of birth, Location, not a bot Verification) reads "Required".

Found the other settings in the profile, thank you.

Don't know about the law, might be, I don't care, I was asking only out of curiosity, but I wouldn't be surprise if there are indeed such laws. For example, we still have some stupid law here, in EU, to enforce any website (even if from outside EU) to request user informing, and user's explicit acknowledge for receiving cookies.

The effect of that law was that now each website pop-up various info + questions, and require ticking check boxes and making various categories selection before access, so everybody is using uBlock or other methods to avoid the cookie permissions dialogues. Many don't even know what is all that cookie nonsense about, and select whatever while cursing, and some websites outside EU simply didn't bother, and just denies access to any EU visitor.

I entered a fake birthday because i was born long before the universe even existed. No database in the world could handle my birthday.

Btw: Here's a picture of my mom and her breakfast after labor
index.jpeg

It's probably mandatory for COPPA compliance, which is to say, for locking kids out of this forum and therefore not having to implement any of the protections on their data that is required.

Obviously, as with most laws for the internet, there's a loophole large enough to drive a space shuttle through...

And what stops the kid to lie about his/her own age? You don't need to have a degree in mathematics to understand that 'age' = 'current year' - 'birthday year', so proper for registering 'birthday year' = 'current year' - 'preferred age > 18', and this protection is completely useless, it just creates more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back