openoffice.org-3 tzupdater-1_3_29-2010f.zip

Hello

I am trying to make and install openoffice.org-3 from ports on FreeBSD 8.1-Release and it requires tzupdater-1_3_29-2010f.zip. Unfortunatly the recommend site only has tzupdater-1_3_34-2010o.zip.

It there an alternative site or a way to disable the need for it?

Thanks

Also note that a simple forum search for tzupdater would have yielded a lot of results.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what exactly is the tzupdater for?

The name suggests that it has something to do with updating a time zone, but I can't imagine why Java would need to do that, since it can ask the OS for everything it needs to know about the time -- and shouldn't be messing with the timezone setting anyway.

Well ..

java/diablo-jdk16
Code:
TZUPDATE=on (default) "Update the time zone data"
java/jdk16
Code:
TZUPDATE=on (default) "Update the time zone data"

The TZUpdater tool is provided to allow you to update installed Java Development Kit (JDK) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software with more recent timezone data, to accommodate daylight saving time (DST) changes in different countries.

Dixit Oracle.

From what I've seen, the zip archive just contains data files the names of which don't seem to change. So it is probably safe to simply modify the distinfo files accordingly (iow: I've done this twice and haven't seen any adverse effects, but, of course, no guarantee...;))

Back