OpenOffice and LibreOffice sucks life out of me

Am I the only one who struggles with OpenOffice and LibreOffice? Since Oracle obtained OpenOffice when I use it it lags badly (LibreOffice is no different since it was forked from OOO about v3.3.0). If I remember correctly OpenOffice 3.2.1 worked quite well, but now, first time some dialogs shows up, it takes at least 5 minutes before I can use office.

Today I got totally pissed off when I opened docx file and LibreOffice froze my system. Had to hard-reset.

I'm wondering if anyone has also this....

Despite OpenOffice 3.3.0+ being quite slow and laggy, it is generally quite usable for me.
I have not tried LibreOffice.

Some things to try are:

- Disable java support from the settings.
- Try a non-tiling window manager.

Right now I use LibreOffice only for converting documents to PDF; everything else I do in LaTeX or troff. LibreOffice is a huge package (but then again, so is texlive on OpenBSD), and it is slow to start and slow to use (unlike texlive).

I don’t know of good command‐line programs to convert formats, or I would use those instead. Sometimes I try catdoc or antiword, but neither produces as accurate output as LibreOffice does when converting to PDF.

There are other GUI office programs available. Abiword, Koffice, Siag. I haven’t used any of them extensively though.

LibreOffice was tempting, but it has a bunch of dependencies beyond what Oo_O requires. AbiWord tries hard, but it's a pretty close simulation of Word and shares some of the same distracting behavior. math/gnumeric, OTOH, is very usable. Either might have problems with the new "open" Office formats. But then, so does Oo_O. And other versions of MS Office, too.

I left my pc one night on, and it got audit file
Downloading fresh database.
auditfile.tbz 66 kB 52 kBps
New database installed.
Affected package: openoffice.org-3.2.1
Type of problem: openoffice.org -- Multiple vulnerabilities.
Reference: <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/f2b43905-3545-11e0-8e81-0022190034c0.html>

I will try to install 3.3 2011 - 01 - 21

I haven't used libreoffice a whole lot, but on an eight-year-old laptop, while it's definitely not as snappy as lighter applications, it definitely doesn't take five minutes before it's usable. I'm running fluxbox.

I realize that my answer is a bit late; but, you may want to try installing it as a linux suite in /compat. I did a little work trying that and then gave up. The maintainers also suggested not enabling java.

I omit *any* office software as fire, if I have to use it, I mostly use ABIWORD/GNUMERIC for those. My work also requires me to be able to edit/open MSO2010 files (docx/xlsx) and I also sometime need Windows (for example for VMware Infrastructure Client), so I use MSO2010 in VirtualBox along with that Windows.

If I need to write some bigger text I prefer simple single HTML file (if it does not requires embedded images) and also LaTeX (tetex @ FreeBSD) for bigger documents to create high quality PDF documents.

No no, you are not the only one. I got 3.3, it delays to open the first file, but then it's ok. I had a delay on printing [ooo 3.2] and now it's ok.

---
8.1 release

No real issues AFAIK. Solved the only one, which I think is Nvidia related. I also have a multimonitor setup, so when I open up Openoffice on one X screen it won't open on the other. Libreoffice is nice to have because it means in situations where I might want to have several office windows open at once, I can use Libreoffice on one X screen and Openoffice on the other.

I used OO before and it was slow. Also, when I switched to LibreOffice it was as slow as OpenOffice. But it's worked pretty fast since the last upgrade (3.3.2).

Have installed and tested libreoffice on 9-CURRENT from pkg. Haven't noticed any slowness on 8 year old laptop. First startup took about 20 secs but after that typing and such are fine in the word processor. Haven't tried the other applications yet.

Startup and typing is ok, try to format text with:
select text, right mouse button, Character

Now it should lag for about 40g seconds (this happens only once after you have started Office, next time it will be OK. But it's very annoying)

killasmurf86 said:
Startup and typing is ok, try to format text with:
select text, right mouse button, Character

Now it should lag for about 40g seconds (this happens only once after you have started Office, next time it will be OK. But it's very annoying)

No lag here on i386 8.2-stable. I'd suspect a font problem.

hmm, I # rm -f /usr/local /var/db/pkg and installed everything with packages.
This time I didn't install any font other than fonts that are installed by xorg package.

LibreOffice still lags....

I'm using amd64

No lag here, almost instantaneous. I haven't installed anything related that wasn't pulled in by pkg_add. I'm using i386 architecture of 9-CURRENT. If you've installed java there may be an issue on amd64. Have you tried disabling java entirely in libreoffice?

killasmurf86 said:
hmm, I # rm -f /usr/local /var/db/pkg and installed everything with packages.
This time I didn't install any font other than fonts that are installed by xorg package.

Could be the configuration for fonts in xorg.conf or local settings for one of the ports that's used to scale or access fonts. Or maybe a network filesystem access attempt? I had a similar timing thing with Thunar due to gvfs a while back; it had some outdated stuff left over in /usr/local/share/gvfs. Deinstalling gvfs, removing that leftover directory, then installing again fixed it.

Back