open office

Hello,

i updated my system to 7.1-rc2
But when i do :

pkg_add -r openoffice

Then i get message that no openoffice file can be found.

Is there no open office for a amd64 system ?

Roelof

Thank you,

But i see that it is a .tgz package.
Do i have to compile everything myself
if so, then i think i better can use the ports.

Roelof

Packages can be either .tgz or .tbz files. In this case, those are precompiled binary packages. You can download it and run 'pkg_add' on the file.

Adam

Im a first time OOO user here.

Do I need to install Java to use OOO? I can open OOO, but when opening any file, OOO always freezes.

My system is FreeBSD 6.4, but I installed OOO for 6.3 version. This is the message I got from OOO:

javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4c
paperconf: not found

(process:19504): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2248: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:19504): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed

(process:19504): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

It appears you have to install OOo for 6.4. You either have to compile it yourself or get the package from somewhere else.

No, you don't need java to run OpenOffice.

Honestly, with a single core machine I would wait until the vms and tty subsystems are GIANT free before leaving the 6.x branch. 7.1 runs much better than 7.0 on my P4, but it does not equal the 6.x branch in my opinion. It's a whole different story on an SMP machine, though.

Just to expand on what kamikaze said: You need Java to build Openoffice, but not to run it. There may be some features that depend on it (I believe the solver is one example), but not anything major.

Back