Solved Only root partition is mounted after reboot

Last night, I noticed I couldn't open a new window in i3. After playing around, I decided just to reboot to see if that would fix it. Now I get the title above message after the boot process display
ubub8: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
and just hangs there till I hit return where I'm allowed as root. Rebooting does not allow me to get into single user mode as I run into the same errors.

As root, I can 'ls' but I don't see anything under /usr or /home. If I try to run ed, I get
/tmp/ed.UDN8XN: Read-only file system

And so on. With nothing showing under many directories, I'm wondering if it somehow got wiped or is it that I don't understand what's going on. Yesterday, I did try to build, but did not install, a professional Linux program in /tmp just to see if it would build. It did not build so I deleted the whole thing.

This is a single SSD drive formatted as gpt on version 11.1-RELEASE.

I'm clueless as to what to do so, while I'm researching that, I hope someone can help solve this. I can't help but think it's just not mounting the other partitions. Thanks.

Code:
# mount
/dev/gpt/root on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)

Code:
# gpart status ada0
ada0p1 through ada0p4 listed with status OK

So I can mount the partitions into /mnt and see the data but I don't know how to fix the problem with them mounting properly.

Are you sure everything is ok in /etc? Moreover, aren't you already in single user mode (/ is read-only, you are automatically logged as root)?

I see the issue now. During boot there is this message from something I started working on but didn't finish as I was called away. It was an attempt to create a memory disk for Chromium.

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED CONSISTENCY:
mfs: md (/home/(me)/.cache/chromium)
Unknown error 1; help!
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
Mar 31 05:23:05 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abormally, going to single user mode

And md shows in /etc/fstab I don't know what to do about that. I'm unable to use an editor cause it's looking for /tmp which is on /var.

The last line in /etc/fstab is
Code:
md /home/(me)/.cache/chromium mfs rw,late,-w (me):wheel,-s300m 2 0

I presume removing that can fix this issue? But I have no editor. At least ee and ed or vi won't work.

Use your FreeBSD install cd medium as a rescue cd medium, by dropping it to the command line, instead of installing.

There is also the /rescue/ directory from your installation, which has its own vi. I've never used that successfully, but it's there for that purpose. Another option is to mount that var/tmp/ directory to another spot from the command line.

I have no cd drive on this system. I have to look to see if I have a usb drive with it on there.

EDIT: I thought I would cat /etc/fstab to another file but now I see the file system is read-only. So another issue here.

I don't understand the problem. You're in single user mode, and your root filesystem is readonly. So... First check it for problems ( # fsck /) and once that has been cleared up re-mount it read/write: # mount -uw /.

(edit)

Also: use stuff in /rescue if need be. That is statically compiled so it won't need other libraries to function.

The problem is I don't do this sort of work all the time and it takes a while for me to look through my notes for reminders of such things.

I was just typing out your 'mount' solution when you posted it. There were no fsck issues. I was able to log in as myself but i3 didn't work and I saw an issue with perl which I upgraded yesterday along with the things noted in UPDATING. So i3 must have an issue with that.

However, I just rebooted again and I'm back to the same issue.

What finally worked for me is:

mount -u //This mounts root as writeable
mount -a //This mounts all partitions in /etc/fstab

I still have an issue with i3 not opening a new window. There is a complaint that it can't find a perl library. Rebuilding it does not fix that but this is a different issue than this thread.

Back