Once again - no screens

My problem is discussed multiple times, but still I cannot solve it.
I commit that I'm a FreeBSD newbie, but have experience in Linux (Gentoo).

startx fails, no matter what I do in installing components like drm-515-kmod, xf86-video-amdgpu, adding config files to .../xorg.conf.d/ or re-installing Xorg etc.

The log tells me:
Code:
(II) AMDGPU: Driver for AMD Radeon:
        All GPUs supported by the amdgpu kernel driver
(--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
(--) using VT number 9
(II) AMDGPU(0): [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
(EE) AMDGPU(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:03:00.0: No such file or directory
(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(II) UnloadModule: "amdgpu"
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
(EE)
Fatal server error:
 (EE) no screens found
(EE)

pciconf shows:
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:3:0:0:    class=0x030000 rev=0xcf hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1002 device=0x7480 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x05f3
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'Navi 33 [Radeon RX 7700S/7600S/7600M XT]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this can be broken down to my next question:
Is my graphics adapter with a Navi 33 chip (AMD RX 7600) supported at all using amdgpu?

I did, installed FreeBSD 14.0, had to use a USB network adapter, because the onboard ones did not work. Recompiled kernel and world and - of course - drm-151-kmod.

So I should frequently re-install drm-515-kmod and hope that one day my adapter will be supported? Or even wait for drm-516-kmod?

So I should frequently re-install drm-515-kmod and hope that one day my adapter will be supported?
If the version on the port doesn't change there's nothing to gain by constantly re-installing it.
Or even wait for drm-516-kmod?
Not even sure if that's on the horizon, or within what time frame. Or if it's even possible on 14.0. They are working on importing patches from the newer versions (commit mentioning 5.17) to integrate them into FreeBSD's DRM drivers. A newer version of DRM might require modifications to the kernel's LINUXKPI, and in that case it won't be available on the existing 14.0-RELEASE. But it might get MFC'ed in stable/14. Again, not sure. I just don't know.

So, maybe try out a snapshot release?

Code for the DRM drivers ported from Linux to FreeBSD using LinuxKPI is separate from code for FreeBSD src (the base operating system).

If the code for the DRM drivers does not meet the requirements for your graphics hardware, then choosing a different version of FreeBSD will not help you.

Do you have an older amdgpu laying around? It might be worth trying it just to make sure it is a "newness" issue rather than a config problem.

Back