Obtaining EOL by script

The information is cached in /var/db/freebsd-update/tag:​
Bash:
date -r $(cut -d'|' -f6 /var/db/freebsd-update/tag)
If the cache is old/nonexistent, have a look at the fetch_* functions in /usr/sbin/freebsd-update (or just trigger invocation of freebsd-update(8)).​

Code:
curl -s 'https://www.freebsd.org/security/#how' |xmllint --html --xpath '//tr/td/p/text()' - 2>/dev/null |rs -e 0 4
you need to have libxml2 installed (provides xmllint)

The information is cached in /var/db/freebsd-update/tag:​
Bash:
date -r $(cut -d'|' -f6 /var/db/freebsd-update/tag)
If the cache is old/nonexistent, have a look at the fetch_* functions in /usr/sbin/freebsd-update (or just trigger invocation of freebsd-update(8)).​
Just tried...

date -r $(cut -d'|' -f6 /var/db/freebsd-update/tag):-

Wed May 1 01:00:00 BST 2024
uname -a :-

FreeBSD X1 13.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64

Not sure how this squares with

since I don't know what 13.3-RELEASE + 3 months means.

I tried the given solution and retrieved latest.ssl

http://update.freebsd.org/14.0-RELEASE/amd64/latest.ssl but don't know how to parse this file.

The solution in the thread I linked is a little terse, but it basically says:

1. Fetch the latest.ssl for the release you're interested in.
2. Pipe that file to openssl, where, using the same TLS public key used by pkg to verify the authenticity of updates, it decrypts the file.
3. When you do that, you get a string like this:

freebsd-update|amd64|14.0-RELEASE|4|7b43ca1d58ceb54effeeefe60206f78cc7b56fbe2877e5b7fba6873eeab81abb|1738281600

4. According to the poster, that sixth field represents the expected EOL date as of the time you downloaded the latest.ssl, in Unix epoch time.
5. The script then does a less-than comparison against your current local time in UTC (the -lt $(TZ=UTC date +%s) part. If the EOL time in the file is less than the current time, print EXPIRED to the screen.

There are three dates at play.

1. The date in the latest.ssl file is an estimated EoL date for 14.0-RELEASE. It's subject to change.
  2. The chart you found shows that the "stable/14" branch has an Expected EoL date of November 30, 2028. This means that the project expects to support the FreeBSD 14 major release until that date, which is precisely five years from the release of its first branch (14.0).
  3. Second in that chart is that the Expected EoL date for 14.0-RELEASE: "14.1-RELEASE + 3 months". This is shorthand for "14.0-RELEASE is EoL three months after the release of 14.1-RELEASE."

There are three dates at play.

1. The date in the latest.ssl file is an estimated EoL date for 14.0-RELEASE. It's subject to change.
  2. The chart you found shows that the "stable/14" branch has an Expected EoL date of November 30, 2028. This means that the project expects to support the FreeBSD 14 major release until that date, which is precisely five years from the release of its first branch (14.0).
  3. Second in that chart is that the Expected EoL date for 14.0-RELEASE: "14.1-RELEASE + 3 months". This is shorthand for "14.0-RELEASE is EoL three months after the release of 14.1-RELEASE."
samjenk, many thanks for the explanation. My question remains... which EoL date should be used when following the guide in

ie:-

# EOL date
export EOL=1275289200
The sha256(1) hash key for the desired release, is published within the respective release announcement.
To generate the "End of Life" number for build.conf, refer to the "Estimated EOL" posted on the FreeBSD Security Website. The value of EOL can be derived from the date listed on the web site, using the date(1) utility, for example:
% date -j -f '%Y%m%d-%H%M%S' '20090401-000000' '+%s'

and can I use latest.ssl to establish this date?

samjenk, many thanks for the explanation. My question remains... which EoL date should be used when following the guide in

ie:-

# EOL date
export EOL=1275289200
The sha256(1) hash key for the desired release, is published within the respective release announcement.
To generate the "End of Life" number for build.conf, refer to the "Estimated EOL" posted on the FreeBSD Security Website. The value of EOL can be derived from the date listed on the web site, using the date(1) utility, for example:
% date -j -f '%Y%m%d-%H%M%S' '20090401-000000' '+%s'

and can I use latest.ssl to establish this date?
If I were setting up a server with that procedure, I'd use the EoL date from latest.ssl. You can fetch it programmatically, and it appears to be the project's best estimate for the precise date.

Back