NVIDIA G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] card on Dell Latitude E6500 Laptop

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with the NVIDIA G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] graphics card on it. I attempted to install Free BSD 10.2 and then also installed Mate and Slim. I was able to log into mate with a good resolution (1920x1200).

The only issue that I had was that when moving windows around there was a bit of a lag. I attempted to install the nvidia-driver package to fix this issue but after the installation I wasn't able to get Slim to show up on bootup and also wasn't able to use startx to get Mate running. I attempted to find threads of others that had similar issues and tried all the solutions that I was able to find, but to no avail. Could somebody please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I belive the driver you need for that card is x11/nvidia-driver-340

Also see the Nvidia how-to Thread 52311

Okay I installed the x11/nvidia-driver-340 package and also followed the initial instructions on Thread 52311 to setup xorg. Slim displayed at startup and I was able to login to a Mate desktop. For some reason the visual tools said that the resolution was 1920x1200 but from the looks of firefox, and a few other applications, the resolution was much less. I tried to manually change the resolutions that were available from what I could find online ... but was unable to get the resolution to a true 1920x1200. Is there something that I'm missing?

Perhaps your resolution is at 1920x1200 but your dpi is set too high?
If that's the case try this in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
	VendorName "NVIDIA"
	Driver "nvidia"
	Option "UseEdidDpi"  "False"
	Option "DPI"  "96x96"
EndSection

Thanks for the info! Will try it out today

[Update 2016-3-31] This works perfectly. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back