Nvidia driver

Hi all. I install freeBSD 11.1 few days ago, but still have some problems with drivers on graphic card. I check and seen that my nvidia driver is 340. When I install driver from pkg, there write "The most recent version of packages are already install" But graphic card didn't work
I add commands "echo ' nvidia_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf" "echo ' linux_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf" and " echo ' hint.agp.0.disable="1"' >> /boot/device.hint"
When I try to install driver from ports there write me " nvidia-driver-340-340.102requires kernel source files in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1"
I don't know what to do anymore. Can someone help me?

kld_list="nvidia linux"
???

I have just kld_list="nvidia" as I'm also running the nvidia 340 based driver
  1. echo 'kld_list="nvidia"' >> /etc/rc.conf
  2. For nvidia drivers later than 367.35 this must be loaded in /etc/rc.conf:
    echo 'kld_list="nvidia-modeset"' >> /etc/rc.conf
  3. Using BSD loader or Linux Grub the driver must be loaded in loader.conf:
    echo 'nvidia_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
  4. For the latest nvivia driver (after 367.35) this must be loaded:
    echo 'nvidia-modeset_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

I try with all that right now but graphic card still doesn't work. May I must add kernel source in /usr/src

I try all that right now, I add source too but still graphic card doesn't work. I don't what to do anymore

I install freebsd twice ... I use one as a admin type choice and for online banking. For that I install a bare minimum of freebsd 11.1 and then pkg install xorg-minimal twm firefox-esr. After that add dbus_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf (no need for hald_enable nor linux_enable, no /etc/X11/xorg.conf) ... and just add
Code:
firefox &
exec twm
to ~/.xinitrc and run startx
Unaccelerated, but works for me (I don't load any addons/plugins and erase ~/.cache/mozilla and ~/.mozilla folders after using).

Give that a go and see if you can get to a gui/desktop without nvidia. If you can then its something wrong with how you've configured nvidia. If you can't even get to a gui that way then its something else. Note that twm is spartan and the default is a black screen on which you need to right mouse click and hold to pop the menu. Alternatively you might choose jwm or fluxbox instead of twm ... just change .xinitrc accordingly (exec jwm or exec fluxbox).

???

I have just kld_list="nvidia" as I'm also running the nvidia 340 based driver
  1. echo 'kld_list="nvidia"' >> /etc/rc.conf
  2. For nvidia drivers later than 367.35 this must be loaded in /etc/rc.conf:
    echo 'kld_list="nvidia-modeset"' >> /etc/rc.conf
  3. Using BSD loader or Linux Grub the driver must be loaded in loader.conf:
    echo 'nvidia_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
  4. For the latest nvivia driver (after 367.35) this must be loaded:
    echo 'nvidia-modeset_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

I also use nvidia 340 based driver and not using package from FreeBSD repository. I build my own package with ports-mgmt/poudriere using default configuration options for x11/nvidia-driver-340.
This is part for nvidia driver from my /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="tmpfs linux linprocfs linsysfs nullfs procfs fdescfs imgact_binmisc fuse if_bridge if_tap vmm nmdm coretemp"
linux_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
and from /boot/loader.conf
Code:
nvidia_load="YES"

It would seem my following of installing nvidia instructions resulted in having nvidia being loaded in both /boot/loader.conf (nvidia_load) and /etc/rc.conf (kld_list). I've removed the /etc/rc.conf one now (kld_list was loading nothing else so I've removed that line from rc.conf). I am using fuse (for squashfuse i.e. mounting of squashfs files), but I also have that being loaded in /boot/loader.conf

After seeing your kld_list I had thought that perhaps I'd missed something in having so little in my kld_list, however I see that Poudriere requires kld_list="tmpfs linux linprocfs nullfs procfs fdescfsu" and I'm not using that.

Thanks.

The Linux kernel module (32 or 64 bit) is not required to be loaded for the driver to work. It's only needed for the driver to support Linux compatibility.

I believe, recent nvidia cards are not supported by nvidia driver.
No, that's not correct. The FreeBSD driver is up to par with the Windows driver (it's actually the exact same driver, just a different wrapper around it).

Note however that there are different versions of the driver. Some older cards are only supported by the legacy driver versions. You can easily find out which one you need on the Geforce drivers page.

I believe, recent nvidia cards are not supported by nvidia driver.

That's not true, I am currently using FreeBSD 11.1 with the latest NVidia driver with a GTX 1050TI (one of their latest graphics cards) on a desktop machine and I have experienced no issues (Gnome 3 Desktop) with it (video playback works fine) when using it with a 4K monitor. Although I do not believe they support CUDA on FreeBSD unfortunately (which is a shame).

My card is 9600 GT too and I install nvidia 340 driver, but card doesn't work. Maybe I wrong something in settings

Set up the driver with an /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf as shown in the handbook. Start X, if it doesn't work properly post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to Pastebin (misc/pastebinit might be useful).

Back