Solved Numpy and matplotlib installation

Well, its still not installing for 3.6. Although make clean shows cleaning for both 2.7 and 3.6, installation always goes for 2.7 (even make config), which is already installed.

Output of make showconfig:

Code:
root@water:/usr/ports/math/py-matplotlib # make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for py27-matplotlib-1.5.3_3:
     EXAMPLES=off: Build and/or install examples
     GTKAGGBACKEND=off: GTKAgg backend support
     GTKBACKEND=off: GTK backend support
     QT4AGGBACKEND=off: Qt4Agg backend support
     QT5AGGBACKEND=off: Qt5Agg backend support
     TKAGGBACKEND=off: TKAgg backend support
     WXAGGBACKEND=off: WXAgg backend support
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

And no, I don't get any error while making matplotlib port, just that it stops saying its already installed for py2.7; no mention of py36. But make clean output is like:

Code:
root@water:/usr/ports/math/py-matplotlib # make clean
===>  Cleaning for py27-matplotlib-1.5.3_3
===>  Cleaning for py36-matplotlib-1.5.3_3

make showconfig output looks good. You can run make FLAVOR=py36 install to install the Python 3.6 version like with numpy earlier.

Whoa, it installed just fine. Thanks a lot.
Matplotlib on py36 is working fine. Thanks a lot again for all of your help.

And yeah can I install scipy for py36 same way?
Also pygame asks for portmidi and porttime dependencies. How can they be satisfied?

Whoa, it installed just fine. Thanks a lot.
Matplotlib on py36 is working fine. Thanks a lot again for all of your help.
No problem. I've landed a fix (ports r455676) for math/py-matplotlib, so in the future it will hopefully be a lot easier to install it for Python 3.x.

And yeah can I install scipy for py36 same way?
Yes, that should work fine. The port is science/py-scipy.

Also pygame asks for portmidi and porttime dependencies. How can they be satisfied?
Sorry, I don't know. We don't currently have ports for portmidi/porttime or pygame, so that might be a lot harder to do.

Yes, that should work fine. The port is science/py-scipy.

Thanks, this worked perfectly fine.

Sorry, I don't know. We don't currently have ports for portmidi/porttime or pygame, so that might be a lot harder to do.

No problem. I wont be requiring it anyway.

Anyway, there's an error when I run :

Code:
make FLAVOR=py36 install BATCH="yes"

in ports/devel/py-qt5.

Its like :

Code:
Installing py36-sip-4.19.2,1...
pkg-static: py36-sip-4.19.2,1 conflicts with py27-sip-4.19.2,1 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/sip
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/py-sip
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/py-qt5-core
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/py-qt5
How to solve this?

Last edited:
Do you have devel/py-sip already as a depenency of another port? If yes you have to handle that port to match the FLAVOR change. If it is not installed you could install it by yourself with the correct flavor. Delete the py27 version before. Then it is not installed as a dependency only and not handled by [pkg autoremove[/cmd]. If this is not solved soon it might be better to open a new thread since the issue is now qt related and no more related to math/py-numpy or math/py-matplotlib.

Thanks, it worked that way. Had to uninstall py-sip for py27. Don't think another thread is required. Anyway, isn't there any other way to this clashing?

Anyway, isn't there any other way to this clashing?
I do not think so. But from my understanding it should be an inconvenience only during the transition period from non-FLAVOR-ed ports to the new FLAVOR-ed ports. In my opinion this transition runs quite smooth. Expecting a seamless change for a feature as FLAVORS would be over-optimistic ;). But that is just my opinion.

As you have started the thread you can mark it as solved on your own. One must click on Thread Tools at the top of the first post, select Edit Title, and use the dropdown menu to select the green 'Solved' button.I always forget the pocedure, fortunately there is Thread 45558 :D. My answer is a shameless copy of the advice of big_girl.

Back