Solved Number of created screens does not match number of detected

Dear all,

Two days ago, I started to install Xorg on my laptop equipped with an Intel Integrated HD Graphics 4400. I'm not able to start X with the intel driver. To solve the problem, I read this post (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/43910/#post-310978) and another one (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xorg-intel-hd4000-problems.46907) and did a few tries with various results:
Write
Code:
Driver "intel"
in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf logs
Code:
(EE) no screens found

Write
Code:
Driver "vesa"
in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf logs
Code:
(WW) Unable to estimate virtual size
Removing .Xauthority changes nothing.

To resume, I'm able to start X with the vesa driver but the result is not very good: slow windows and a smaller resolution than the one of my screen which is 1920x1080.

Did anyone overcome the same problem? Do you think to another way to solve this?

In advance, massive thanks.

FreeBSD does not support Haswell (or newer) GPUs yet. So the Intel driver is a no-go unless you want to run experimental software.

Can you boot from UEFI? If yes try using x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb which uses the EFI framebuffer and might be faster (and have a better resolution) than VESA.

Which one do I have to select?
FreeBSD does not support Secure Boot so you can leave it off if you don't need it for another OS.
do I have to install FreeBSD with the UEFI version?
Yes. There are ways to convert your existing installation, but it's easier and less frustrating to just reinstall (especially if this is a new install). So yes use the *-uefi-* image.

FreeBSD does not support Haswell (or newer) GPUs yet. So the Intel driver is a no-go unless you want to run experimental software.
Can you boot from UEFI? If yes try using x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb which uses the EFI framebuffer and might be faster (and have a better resolution) than VESA.

The results with the x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb driver are far more better than the ones with VESA. It's really great but I don't have all the possibilities offered by a specialized driver (e.g. Nvidia). One example of this is the output of xrandr which produced nothing but a "Missing on display" result. I can't add a external screen.

Did you see this revision ? Does this mean that support for Haswell GPUs is now included in FreeBSD ?

Back