Solved NTP listening on all IPs - including those belonging to Jails

I'm trying to find out how to stop ntpd listening to IPs allocated to jails. I've spent a lot of time reading about /etc/ntp.conf but there doesn't seem to be an option to control where the daemon listens. At present it's listening to all.

At first I thought restrict was what I needed, but then I realised that refers to the client's address, not where the server listens. I want to release the jail's addresses. How can I do that without stopping NTP altogether?

I don't think it is possible to restrict ntpd(8) to a certain interface. This can indeed be abused when running jails. You can use restrict to harden your configuration, or choose the simple solution and switch to net/openntpd. ntimed will probably also be a fine alternative when it's ready.

Do this. This will work in the later version of ntpd(8) that is in 10.x or the ports system. I'm not sure if it works on earlier versions or not. Give it a try and see what happens.

Code:
interface ignore wildcard
interface listen 127.0.0.1
interface listen ::1
interface listen 192.168.1.1

It seems whatever I do I need to install from ports rather than use the system-included version. I have installed net/openntpd. It also seems the problem has been fixed in 10.x onwards from xtaz's post above.

I'll mark this Solved although not quite in the way I had hoped.

Back