NTP leap-seconds.list file not found

Hi,

This morning on all my systems running FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE /etc/periodic/daily/480.leapfile-ntpd is reporting:
fetch: https://www.ietf.org/timezones/data/leap-seconds.list: Not Found

Is there any other official source for the leap-seconds.list file ?

I got it the same, but after some research it turns out that leap file should not be used anymore and it will be drop before 2035

Disable the periodic fetch of the leapfile
/etc/periodic.conf.local
daily_ntpd_leapfile_enable="no"

or change the leapfile source
/etc/rc.conf

Another source for the leap file:

Last edited:
So if I disable leapfile fetching it will not harm anything. Perhaps I will get a warning from ntpd(8) when it will expire on 2023-12-28T00:00:00Z ?
The question is why this is not disabled by default in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf ?

Seems like adjusting standards to buggy software has reached a completely new level. I'm waiting for leap year abolishion due to MS Excel coders being unable to handle them. It's going to take 124 years before the shift accumulates to 31 days slipping beyond January, and then they should decide what to do next.

Reactions: PMc
-CURRENT has the leap seconds file with the updated expiration date but note that the data is the same in various versions, only the checksum has changed due to the change in “expires on” date comment. There has been no actual addition since 2017.

/etc/rc.conf
daily_ntpd_leapfile_enable = "no"

As it is run by periodic and is a local change I used echo 'daily_ntpd_leapfile_enable="NO"' >> /etc/periodic.conf.local on our FreeBSD servers at work. All our servers pull from stratum two hosts backed by stratum one GPS time server appliances in the network anyway.

As it is run by periodic and is a local change I used echo 'daily_ntpd_leapfile_enable="NO"' >> /etc/periodic.conf.local on our FreeBSD servers at work. All our servers pull from stratum two hosts backed by stratum one GPS time server appliances in the network anyway.
Yep fixed in the previous post.

Seems like adjusting standards to buggy software has reached a completely new level. I'm waiting for leap year abolishion due to MS Excel coders being unable to handle them. It's going to take 124 years before the shift accumulates to 31 days slipping beyond January, and then they should decide what to do next.
Yes, point taken. Love it...

-CURRENT has the leap seconds file with the updated expiration date but note that the data is the same in various versions, only the checksum has changed due to the change in “expires on” date comment. There has been no actual addition since 2017.
Yes, because earth happens to go faster now, due to the melting polar caps. (doesn't make sense, but never mind)
So people started pondering how to insert reverse leap seconds (just imagine the fun of adapting all the software) and came to the conclusion to better dump the whole thing.
Since unix did the right thing from the beginning, run on a monotonous seconds tick and not bother about local time, we should never have started with this leap seconds stuff also, and left it to the applications. Now it seems a bit difficult:

Since unix did the right thing from the beginning, run on a monotonous seconds tick and not bother about local time, we should never have started with this leap seconds stuff also, and left it to the applications.
Without leap second correction past events would appear to happen later than the actual time. This may not matter for most programs but may matter for a few.

Without leap second correction past events would appear to happen later than the actual time. This may not matter for most programs but may matter for a few.
Not at all. Leap seconds are only a convenience to adjust the clock to the actual speed of the earth flying along.
It all depends on the reference: do you want your clock to tick along with the cesium decay, or do you want it to tick along with the angular position of the earth?
Obviousely, on a more practical level it depends on which other systems you relate to.

FreeBSD 13.3 BETA3:

Is meant to have a change to (I assume) address this issue:

o An update to the source for the leap seconds database.

But it doesn't seem to be working for me? Is it fixed in 13.3 BETA3 for anyone else?

[EDIT maybe it is for fresh installs and I'm doing an upgrade?]

Think I need to manually update /etc/rc.conf to match the change in 13.3:
Links to:
Replace:
Code:
# Working copy (updated weekly) leapfile
ntp_leapfile_sources="https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tzdb/leap-seconds.list"
With:
Code:
# Canonical place to get the leap seconds from
ntp_leapfile_sources="https://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/ntp/leap-seconds.list"

I did service ntpd onefetch (onefetch from muscle memory) and then rebooted (just so I could see what was in /var/log/messages):

Code:
Feb 28 11:51:11 vp2410 ntpd[1190]: leapsecond file ('/var/db/ntpd.leap-seconds.list'): good hash signature
Feb 28 11:51:11 vp2410 ntpd[1190]: leapsecond file ('/var/db/ntpd.leap-seconds.list'): loaded, expire=2024-06-28T00:00:00Z last=2017-01-01T00:00:00Z ofs=37
Before the service command and reboot:
Code:
Feb 28 09:01:51 vp2410 ntpd[1178]: leapsecond file ('/var/db/ntpd.leap-seconds.list'): good hash signature
Feb 28 09:01:51 vp2410 ntpd[1178]: leapsecond file ('/var/db/ntpd.leap-seconds.list'): loaded, expire=2023-12-28T00:00:00Z last=2017-01-01T00:00:00Z ofs=37
Feb 28 09:01:51 vp2410 ntpd[1178]: leapsecond file ('/var/db/ntpd.leap-seconds.list'): expired 62 days ago

Back